2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Car dies when brakes applied

Old 03-04-2017, 10:44 PM
Jc530
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car dies when brakes applied

I have a 2002 dodge neon. The car is stick shift. When I apply brakes when the car is at idle the car dies... the only way I can turn the car on is if I have it in neautral and just use the clutch pedal, if I go to turn the car on while I'm holding down the clutch and the brake pedal together the car will just keep cranking and will not fire up.. I tried to check to see if it's a brake booster vacuum hose leak with spraying carb cleaner around booster, check valve and vacuum hose but I get nothing..I also can't check the pressure on the brake pedal because the car dies and then it gets stiff at some time.. is there a possibility that my alternator is no good that when I apply my brakes it has no juice to keep the motor running?. When the car is on, even by tapping the brakes to get the brake lights to come on the car will hesitate and then stall. I'm not pushing down on the brakes At this point just resting my foot on the brake pedal to engage my brake lights.... can a idle air control valve be a problem? Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:35 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

to eliminate the booster as a problem, disconnect the vacuum line from the booster and pinch off the hose to seal the vacuum leak. hit your brake pedal and see what happens.

the problem doesn't happen at higher rpm correct? If yes, the engine is able to overcome the vacuum draw but not at idle. if the car uses an idle air control valve, check to ensure its working. You should see a change in iac counts on a scan tool is a vacuum leak is opened and then closed. Also may sure the throttle plate is clean. do a throttle body clean.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:28 PM
Jc530

I already pinched the vacuum hose to the booster And It still did the same thing as if it weren't pinched,the cAr died pressing on the brake. not too sure if it doesn't happen at higher Rpms. I gonna have to give that a try At higher Rpm. And yes the car uses and idle air control valve.. also on the throttle body it has a wArning sign saying do not clean throttebody. Not sure why it says that

Originally Posted by primem
to eliminate the booster as a problem, disconnect the vacuum line from the booster and pinch off the hose to seal the vacuum leak. hit your brake pedal and see what happens.

the problem doesn't happen at higher rpm correct? If yes, the engine is able to overcome the vacuum draw but not at idle. if the car uses an idle air control valve, check to ensure its working. You should see a change in iac counts on a scan tool is a vacuum leak is opened and then closed. Also may sure the throttle plate is clean. do a throttle body clean.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:37 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jc530
.. also on the throttle body it has a wArning sign saying do not clean throttebody. Not sure why it says that
because is has a coating from factory that helps prevent carbon build up. cleaning it will remove it the coating....but if its carboned up...it doesn't matter at this point...clean it. use throttle body cleaner and a friends toothbrush. if the throttle body and throttle plate are clean, leave it alone.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Jc530

Ok I'll clean it. It does look pretty dirty.

Search this Thread