2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

fuel pump location

Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
celticshinobi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump location

Whats the best way to get to the fuel pump on a 2000 Neon?

Old 03-29-2006, 01:33 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: fuel pump location

which one there is one in the tank and there is one along the line 2 keep it flowing

Old 03-29-2006, 02:34 AM
celticshinobi

two? hmm, both

Old 03-29-2006, 09:49 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

well the one in the tank is umm in the tank and the other one is along the fuel line lol its towards the engine compartment and should be mounted on the body somewhere (its not just hanging there)

Old 03-30-2006, 04:52 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Hmmm... The 2004 Factory Service Manual says there's only one fuel pump. I wonder why yours, and only yours, would have 2?

The 2000 FSM only shows one pump as well, and it's in the tank. All the 1st gens have one pump, also in the tank. The SRT-4's and PT Cruisers all have one pump, in the tank. My '99 Ram only has one pump, in the tank. I think I'm seeing a pattern here...

You'll have to drop the tank to get at the pump. Best thing is to run the car until the low fuel light comes on. Then you can drain the rest of the fuel out if you want - easiest way is to disconnect the line from the fuel rail, lead it into a proper canister, and start cranking the engine. If you're skittish about explosions, leave the fuel in there, it's not that heavy... jack up the rear of the car and support with jackstands. Remove the passenger side wheel. Remove the filer tub connection at the fuel tank (you can also get fuel out this way). You'll have to loosen up the tank strap on the driver's side, and completely remove the one on the passenger side (makes it easier to get back together that way). Depressurize the fule line (schrader valve at the fuel rail). Disconnect the fuel lines and electrical connections from the housing. Remove the big outer ring and carefully pull out the assembly (it's at an angle...). Swap the pump, install is reverse of removal.

Best of luck!

Old 03-30-2006, 05:07 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Maybe spikey was getting the fuel filter thats along the fuel line near the engine bay confused with a second fuel pump?

But yes there is only one fuel pump and like RadarLove said its inside the tank.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:40 PM
celticshinobi

Yeah, I found the pump. I know a bunch of cars have it higher up and it can be recahed through the trunk so I wasnt sure, I was just too lazy to check (I had a LOT of crap in my trunk at the time)

Another question: Does the 2000 Neon have a fuel filter? I checked at Autozone and the guys said that there wasnt a filter on it.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

There is a lifetime filter that is part of the regulator assembly. It should never need replacing. It has its own part number, but the guys at the service desk will probably tell you that you have to replace the entire regulator... You should never have to change that filter though... Ever...

Old 04-05-2006, 10:12 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

my fault guys i assumed it would have one but i guess i was wrong sorry 4 the bad information

Old 04-06-2006, 07:23 PM
celticshinobi

It's all good mikey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel pump location