2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Introduce Yourself Here!

Old 02-19-2017, 03:26 PM
Crackle_Smackle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Car and New To The Forum

Hey! Decided to try and check out this forum after finally getting myself a car. Went with an '05 Neon SXT in metallic red, the Neons have always been one of my favorite cheap cars. And it's been nice so far!

The car's completely stock as of now besides a transmission replacement the previous owner had done, but it's OEM so it's still nothing special aha.

A ding and some small scratches in the fender when I bought it.

Everything on the inside looks especially 90's and I love it. The wheel shows some wear and the seats need to be thoroughly cleaned when I get the chance.

170k+ miles on the odometer and still going!

Everything's pretty solid besides some tiny things like the interior needing a few cheap tidbits here and there, and the PCV valve needing replacement? It idles a little odd when the AC is on (idles higher and vibrates a bit) but no check engine light, so I assumed it was that. Probably wouldn't hurt to get the tires aligned, too. General maintenance stuff.

But yea! Been a great little car so far after the week I've got it. Can't wait to get out and drive it around town more often.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:48 PM
TXNeon05
Default New to the Neon and have some questions

Hi everyone. I just took possession of a 2005 SRT Neon with the 2.0 in it for my daughter who is about to get her license. It runs fine when driving but in gear and idling it runs rough. She says it purrs.LOL Anyway, it has 102K miles and was a one owner (my sister but that is another story) but lets go on the assumption that I don't know any previous history. Can anyone point me in the best direction and what the usual culprits could be. I am much better with older rear wheel drive V6 or V8's.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Crackle_Smackle

Originally Posted by TXNeon05
Hi everyone. I just took possession of a 2005 SRT Neon with the 2.0 in it for my daughter who is about to get her license. It runs fine when driving but in gear and idling it runs rough. She says it purrs.LOL Anyway, it has 102K miles and was a one owner (my sister but that is another story) but lets go on the assumption that I don't know any previous history. Can anyone point me in the best direction and what the usual culprits could be. I am much better with older rear wheel drive V6 or V8's.
Maybe it's the PCV valve? That's mainly the common issue but it could also be the Air Control Sensor or Camshaft Position Sensor. Maybe even just some new plugs and wires could do the trick.

I'm no qualified mechanic or anything but something along the lines of those might be it. I did a little research on the issue myself not too long ago (mine has that exact problem aha) and replacing the PCV Valve ($3 part) seems to be the most common solution.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 PM
gerent

I'm Gerentstein from the Philippines. It was just a coincidence that I own two Dodges...
One is a Dart Sedan 69 which I bought and restored, and another one is a Durango 2000 which was traded to my Honda Shadow motorcycle...Now I am a Dodge fan!!!

Dodge Dart Sedan 1969 Straight 6

Dodge Durango 2000 SLT Magnum v8 5.9L

Old 02-22-2017, 02:33 AM
garrycarton

oh fantastic! Both of your dodge looks excellent. Your choice is so nice.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:05 PM
TXNeon05

The plugs were replaced about a week before I got it by my brother in law and the camshaft position sensor was done 2-3 days before as well. I am going to try replacing the PCV valve first since it is so cheap.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:18 AM
gerent

Originally Posted by garrycarton
oh fantastic! Both of your dodge looks excellent. Your choice is so nice.
Thank you Garry, the only thing I worry about these cars is that both of them are very thirsty...

Old 03-08-2017, 09:03 PM
BlitzKizer497
Default What's up

My srt
What's up my name is Tray and I own a 04 neon srt4. I don't have a bunch of mods on it but working on it.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 PM
mr5racing
Amateur

whats up Dodge peeps. i started a open wheel circle track modified motor project and had built an ultralight bottom end 360 with ceramic lifters and Magnum R/T heads and MP dual plane intake only to have division rules change. so now im on here and there trying to sell them. very rare to find this stuff too. only took me 2yrs to find.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:40 PM
rmolen
Default I'm a newbie to the forum.

Just joined the forum. A little background on me. I just purchased a 2002 Neon with 180,000 miles that would only sputter. I did a compression check on all four cylinders and had about 90 psi on cylinders 1 and 2 and about 120 psi on cylinders 3 and 4. A few squirts of oil improved 3 and 4 to about 145 psi but 1 and 2 hardly changed. With more persistence, I was able to get it to start, put some water in it and that is when I noticed the head gasket was blown. Pulled the head off, it had 2 small cracks from the water line to the combustion chamber so a replacement is in order for that. Now checking the piston rings and bearing for damage or wear. Bearing look real good so will check the rings. Did find something odd when I dropped the pan which I have posted in the Generation 2 section with pictures so please look at that and help me identify. But so far having a good time ripping this thing apart. Hopefully I will be able to get this thing back together and running.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introduce Yourself Here!