2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Introduce Yourself Here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:08 AM
Southernhunter9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rmolen
Just joined the forum. A little background on me. I just purchased a 2002 Neon with 180,000 miles that would only sputter. I did a compression check on all four cylinders and had about 90 psi on cylinders 1 and 2 and about 120 psi on cylinders 3 and 4. A few squirts of oil improved 3 and 4 to about 145 psi but 1 and 2 hardly changed. With more persistence, I was able to get it to start, put some water in it and that is when I noticed the head gasket was blown. Pulled the head off, it had 2 small cracks from the water line to the combustion chamber so a replacement is in order for that. Now checking the piston rings and bearing for damage or wear. Bearing look real good so will check the rings. Did find something odd when I dropped the pan which I have posted in the Generation 2 section with pictures so please look at that and help me identify. But so far having a good time ripping this thing apart. Hopefully I will be able to get this thing back together and running.
I don't know if it's the same as yours but I got an 2001 neon with the 2.0 trying to get the head off but the timing belt is holding it? How did you get your head off? I'm a newbie to working on cars so anything you can tell me is much appreciated.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:48 PM
rmolen

Welcome to the forum, your Neon should be the same as mine. You will have to remove the timing belt to get the head off. This is a fairly big job but is manageable. I have not put mine back together yet so I will not comment anymore on the ease of the job. You can look up videos to see what all it will take to pull the timing belt as well as other things to get to the position to pull the cylinder head. Good luck

Old 03-27-2017, 11:21 PM
Southernhunter9

Originally Posted by rmolen
Welcome to the forum, your Neon should be the same as mine. You will have to remove the timing belt to get the head off. This is a fairly big job but is manageable. I have not put mine back together yet so I will not comment anymore on the ease of the job. You can look up videos to see what all it will take to pull the timing belt as well as other things to get to the position to pull the cylinder head. Good luck
I did look it it up what a hassle, I just got a hammer and beat the plastic off I'm replacing the engine and the new engine has a good cover so I'm not worried about it.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Nick Nicholson
Default The new guy

Hey guys I'm Nick and I'll be honest with ya I'm a ford guy but I got a good deal on this truck it's a 1995 ram 2500 4x4 5speed with the 5.9 with 201k on it and it runs pretty good and don't tell know one but it's faster then my ford lol.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:16 AM
pgtheriault

Hey There,
My first post....name is Pierre and I own a '05, which I bought new. Starting to have issues and I'm slowly learning how to do car repairs. Current issue I have is with the fog lights, which don't come on. I live in Canada so we have daytime running lights up here and they're supposed to come on automatically when the car is running. I've replaced the fuse for the lamps but still nothing. The fog lamps also don't come on if I simply turn them on either.
Any ideas for me?
Thx,
Pierre

Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 PM
Dakotaman201760
Default Dakotaman201760

Hey guys and girls. My name Jeff, and I live in Chesapeake,Ohio. I'm having a problem with my 02 Dodge Dakota. It has a 3.9 v6 in it. The problem I'm having is,it runs fine until it gets to normal temperature. After I shut it off,it won't restart again until it cools all the way down. I have checked the coil,on one wire going to the coil I have 12v,and on the black wire the PCM is supposed to send a signal to the coil,which it is not doing. My question is can a bad crank sensor cause this,or do I need another PCM? Thanks for anyone who can help.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 PM
braddogle89@gmail.com

Hey yall i have a 01 neon 2.0 that i swapped my 96 block with.. All sensors matched up and it cranks but no fire thru coil... I took a test light and tested power wire to coil pack while it was un plugged and i had power until i plugged it in to the coil then i lost all. Any ideas. Thanks in advance

Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Bakerboy2000
Default Bakerboy2000

Goodmorning Forum. My name is Bakerboy2000 from Houston. I have a 2007 1500 5.7L Ram Riddell Edition and a 2015 5.7L Charger RT. I have been a Dodge convert since 2003!!! I have slowly been working on my Charger to beef it up a little. I have added Magnaflow 11225 and an aFe Power Magnum FORCE 51-12162 Cold Intake system. My 2007 Ram has Magnaflow 11225. Will upload pics of both eventually.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:00 AM
Eric Rodriguez
Default Well hello there😉

Hey all.
Name is Eric from Santa Clarita, Ca.
owner of 2003 neon R/T. Been through a lot with this car. Had it since it had 14 miles. Currently at about 240k. Tranny is done. Feels like synchros to me but not entirely sure. Not a mechanic by any means but great at filling instructions and have worked on some cars..... if you all would be so kind as to point me to a step by step to remove and install a tranny I would greatly appreciate it. Also, cheaper to rebuild or buy another?

thanks again. Been a dodge fan my whole life.

Eric

Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome! Links to the shop manuals are in my signature. They have step by step instructions for everything.

Quick Reply: Introduce Yourself Here!