2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Speedometer problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:24 PM
thisisrightnow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer problems?

I have a 2003 Dodge Neon, and I've been having problems with my speedometer the past few days. I don't know if it's the cold weather or what, but my speedometer seems to be stuck at 0.I noticed it a few days ago, and just shrugged it off, and thought it was the cold. Then I went to go somewhere today and it was fine when I started up, then when I started it up again later, the needle dropped all the way down past the highest MPH, and there seems to be something sticking out that's preventing it from going up, and it refuses to go back in the opposite direction.. Is there any way to reset the speedometer, or would I need to replace it? I've been reading it could be the sensor but I'm not sure.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
mike9fore
Veteran
Default RE: Speedometer problems?

Speed Sensor on the Tranny?? If it isthe speedometer then you can get another cluster off of another neon...(i.e. scrap yard or e-bay)

Old 02-06-2007, 02:09 PM
thisisrightnow

What do you mean by another cluster? A whole new speedometer?

I just got off the phone with my dad and he said it sounds like my speedometer cable could need replaced? [:@]He doesn't think it could be my actual speedometer, since the needle on my speedometer was going nuts. And Dodge wants to charge me a $79 diagnostic fee just so they can find out what the problem is.

Is it possible that this frigid *** cold could make it go wacky? Cause like I explained in my original post, this is only the 2nd time it's gone out of wack.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:26 PM
mike9fore
Veteran

that sounds logical...yet, last resort would be the dealership in my opinion....see if there are any local ASE cert. mechanics around your area...Check your speedometer cable...then i would run it all the way back to the speed sensor.....

Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

There is a way to reset all the gauges, i dont remember the exact procedure, but its something like holding in the Trip/Reset button and then turning the ignition key over to ON (not starting, just where everything comes on). Hold it there and all the gauges should jump in incremenets all the around and then return to normal.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:40 PM
thisisrightnow

It worked! I pushed in the reset/trip button and turned my key to the on position and it reset all my gauges. That was so much easier than having to take apart my dashboard so I could take the whole panel out to turn the needle around.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:55 AM
mikethemailman5639

My speedometer needle and the RPM needle was on the wrong side of the pin. To easily correct the problem I held down the trip button, turned the ignition to the on position and just waited a few seconds until the needles moved to the correct side of the pin. Thank you so much for your help. It saved me huge bucks from Chrysler!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:15 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i wish i would have known this earlier lol. i paid a mechanic 65 dollars to take my cluster out and put the needle on the right side of the pin. how do u know all these codes and things RT?

Old 03-03-2007, 02:01 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Lots of reading, research, and time I suppose ...just glad I could help you guys out!!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:48 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: 03neonRT

Lots of reading, research, and time I suppose ...just glad I could help you guys out!!
You're a cool guy. Very helpful[sm=deal.gif]

Quick Reply: Speedometer problems?