2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Dodge Neon Oil Light flashes & beeps

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
*White~Diamond*
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Neon Oil Light flashes & beeps

2003 dodge neon with 54,000 miles. Recently the oil light beeps flashes then goes off but only after I come to a stop light or stop sign. I have changed the oil pressure switch/oil sending unit and did an oil change. Still the light only comes on after driving about 30 mins and only when the car is stopped. Light goes off does not stay on; took it several places was told because the oil light doesnt stay on and is not currently on they cannot give me a proper diagnostic but they surely can tell me they can keep the cost under $3,000 for repair :O Does anyone know what this could be? PLEASE HELP!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

since it was just replaced did the plug in get a good cleaning? Mine was full of 200k miles of crud, even found a few spots the exhaust cooked the wire and cut out the bad portion. Mine did the same thing and it was leaking profusely. It's an easy fix once you get it all nice and clean to see where the issue is.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 PM
buddhaman
Veteran

Ditch the dummy light and put in a manual gauge. It isn't too hard to do and only costs about $15 more to do that vs putting in another sensor.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TejasMtnBiker
since it was just replaced did the plug in get a good cleaning? Mine was full of 200k miles of crud, even found a few spots the exhaust cooked the wire and cut out the bad portion. Mine did the same thing and it was leaking profusely. It's an easy fix once you get it all nice and clean to see where the issue is.
Exactly what I'd suggest.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

I'm not too familiar with Neon sending units but there was a TSB on stratus sending units where there was a dummy plug in place of one of the wire terminals in the connector which would turn the light on as you are describing. Also as previously mentioned excess oil in the connector will definitely turn it on, make sure the new one you put in isn't leaking as well.

If you really had low oil pressure you probably would have noticed by now.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM
*White~Diamond*

I took it to a mechanic and he said the wrong oil was put in my car... which to me would make sense never had problems before until 4 days after Jiffy Lube touched it... go figure

Old 05-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

That still sounds a little sketchy.. the oil would have to be WAY wrong.

For example I've put 10w40 in my car just because it was what I had laying around and never had a problem.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

A 2003 Neon calls for 5W30. Unless a 0W-0 was put in the engine, I think your mechanic is just guessing. Is this the same one that said they could fix the light for under $3,000?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM
*White~Diamond*

I've been trying to figure it out myself...because it doesnt sound right yet I guess it could be a possiblity. (not an expert)

No.. this was a new mechanic. Oil pressure switch was fine, he said the engine wasn't losing pressure (he checked it out with some type of machine) He believes the wrong oil was used because there are no other problems.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

What's the sheet/receipt from Jiffy Lube say was used? And isn't there usually a little sticker you get too; what's that say?

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Neon Oil Light flashes & beeps