Old 08-05-2015, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

DIY - Transfer Case Saver install (NP231, NP241, NP243)

Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY - Transfer Case Saver install (NP231, NP241, NP243)

I've never attempted a DIY writeup before. This is a fairly common topic with these trucks, so I figured it's worth a shot. I couldn't find another one on this forum, so here it is. This writeup covers the installation on my 1995 Ram 2500 with an NP241 DLD 23 spline input.

NOTE: This kit may not be compatible with some/all NP241 HD Transfer cases. In the words of Zman17:
Originally Posted by zman17
The tailshaft housing does not come off by simply removing the 4 bolts on a 241HD, something has to be removed from the inside of the TC to take it off. I called Dan at Quad 4x4 at the time I was trying to install mine to confirm. He also said he needed to change the description of what TC's it fit's. This is the reason I sold my TC saver. Besides, I think the shaft is bigger anyway.

Thanks Zman for a good deal on the part!

Transfer Case Saver Installation

1) Put your truck in neutral, set the parking brake, and chock the wheels.

2) Remove your rear driveshaft. On mine this is accomplished by unscrewing the 4 bolts that hold the u-joint straps in place, then sliding the driveshaft forward and free of the pinion yoke, followed by pulling it backwards and out of the T-case tailhousing. Starting in 2000 the 1500's stopped using U-bolt straps, switching to a 4 bolt flange design. My truck is not this way. If yours is, DON'T PANIC!!! Dial 911. Then remove your 4 bolts and follow the rest of my instructions. HD's did not switch to this design in 2000. A negligable amount of ATF will come out of the transfer case. On my 2500, the size used for the bolts was 5/16".

3) Unbolt the 4 bolts that fasten the tailhousing to the rear bearing retainer. Mine were 1/2" heads.

To get the tailhousing loose you may have to use some force, since it should have had a silicone sealant used on it. I just pulled down on it with my arms, but a smack with a deadblow would do just fine as well.

This is why my truck needed the Tcase saver in the first place. as you can see, the snap ring popped out of its groove, leaving the mainshaft loose to move around at will, eventually causing destruction of expensive internal parts.

This is how the factory snap ring is supposed to function. Many people have had them break, and mine just wouldn't hold it's shape.

4) If your snap ring was still in it's correct place, use a pair of snap ring pliers to remove it (or needlenose pliers like me )

5) This is a picture of the Transfer Case Saver installed. It simply has 2 allen head screws holding it together. The ring itself has a lip that sits in the snap ring groove, providing better security to the placement of the mainshaft. My kit came with red Locktite to put on the threads, to keep them from backing out.

6) Clean up your mating surfaces in preparation to re-install the tailhousing.

7) Put a nice thin bead of RTV silicone (I used the Ultra Black flavor) on the tailhousing. If your bead doesn't look as gangster as mine, that's okay, cuz mine is pretty thug.

8) Re-install the tailhousing and driveshaft, wait an hour for the silicone to cure, and enjoy a trouble free transfer case!

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 04-21-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Halojm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I purchase one of these? I have some play in the drive line that seems to be in that area, plus the clunk sound when I put it in reverse only. I'm a little suspicious.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Google it. I think its www.drivetrain.com, but I can't exactly remember...

Check your U-joints too.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 11-24-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: changed url
Old 11-24-2012, 12:02 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

really nice write up and camera work.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice DIY. However, beware that the saver does NOT fit some 241's even though they are 4 bolt. The tailshaft does not come off some of them without opening up the TC. Which is why I sold mine to wombat.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by zman17
Nice DIY. However, beware that the saver does NOT fit some 241's even though they are 4 bolt. The tailshaft does not come off some of them without opening up the TC. Which is why I sold mine to wombat.
When I did this write up last spring you said the same thing Zman, and it's noted at the top of my post. Getting forgetful in your old age Z?

Originally Posted by gertie240
really nice write up and camera work.
Thanks Dood.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 11-24-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:37 PM
My360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up, I'm definitely going to have to look into getting me one of those.

Originally Posted by Halojm
Where can I purchase one of these? I have some play in the drive line that seems to be in that area, plus the clunk sound when I put it in reverse only. I'm a little suspicious.
If your getting a clunk when putting it into reverse only, try checking the rear universal first. That's usually the cause of that clunking noise.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this "kit" simply a regular plain old shaft collar?

These things are common as dirt; simply need to know the shaft diameter and that's a $5 at most fix from a local industry supply versus a $60+shipping eye gouging.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this "kit" simply a regular plain old shaft collar?
Not quite... they have a flange that goes into the snap-ring groove.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:25 PM
spun360
Rookie

let me ask a dumb question. is it unusual for a ram 1500 to have a np231?
my truck is a 96. now that i have a new and improved 325 horse power plant, i feel the need to look over things and beef them up. will this pipe bushing fit my truck?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Transfer Case Saver install (NP231, NP241, NP243)