Clean your throttle body!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clean your throttle body!

ORIGINAL: Mowhawk

Wouldnt using WD40 on the TB be a bad idea, concidering is flammable?
Look at the carb cleaner , brake cleaner , pb blaster , there all fammable .... some engine cleaners are flammable...Once you know what the flash point is , and knowing is half the battle..

Old 03-27-2008, 02:12 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

Starting was no problem.And there was no flameup. I was talking about a quick surface cleaning. If you want to get to all the tiny cracks and crevices (and feel you need to)you will have to take it off. Mine was just a surface cleaning. I have 13 years and close to 200k now. Perhaps I should take it off to clean it.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Mudbone25
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so i just clean my throttle body today.. It was realy dirty.. the underside of the butterflies were black and so was the tip of the MAP sensor. I got everything cleand up and put backtogether but now its ideling weird. Could the MAP sensor be reading differently now that its clean and its just taking time to ceatch up. I was very carefull with the sensors and put di-electric greese on the contacts before i put it back together. Anyone else have their's idle weird after a clean up.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

reset the PCM and let it relearn , disconect the + on the battery for a min...

Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 AM
ridehard1
Default Just cleaned TB this weekend

I just removed and cleaned my TB (tb cleaner) It was nasty. I sprayed contact cleaner in the elecrtic componets and re installed. It was "fluttering" at cruising speeds.
Didnt matter if I was running 30 or 60 it still feels like its not under full power. It still hesitates and backfires sometimes. I am at a loss as to what to do next. What do ya,ll think I should do now??
98 Dodge 318/5.2 1500

Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Twisted Metal
Captain

reset the PCM and let it relearn , disconect the + on the battery for a min...

Also, did you remove the components to clean them? The TPS? IAC? Did you remove the TB to clean it? There are 2 excellent DYI's for both TB cleaning and how to clean the TPS and IAC in the DYI section up top.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 AM
ridehard1

Thanks for the info. Yes I did take it (TB) off and cleaned everthing.All the sensors,with contact cleaner.All the plugs looked good. The IAC was filthy and cleaned up well. I didnt try to push it in to see if it operated.I figured it moved electrically. I will try and dissconnect the POS (+) side of battery to see if it resets everything. Where is the PCM located???

Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Cheat
Veteran

Originally Posted by ridehard1
Thanks for the info. Yes I did take it (TB) off and cleaned everthing.All the sensors,with contact cleaner.All the plugs looked good. The IAC was filthy and cleaned up well. I didnt try to push it in to see if it operated.I figured it moved electrically. I will try and dissconnect the POS (+) side of battery to see if it resets everything. Where is the PCM located???
On my 97 ram its on the pass side on the firewall its a metal box with 3(?) connections on it. (i think its three).
And my ram used to be a work truck and has 167K miles on it, you think I need to clean the Tb?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep and do the plenum fix. Do a search on it.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 AM
joekool4
Professional

Seafoam!!!!!!! well advanced autoparts brand fuel injector cleaner, let it idle pour a little in the intake cleans out the intake and TB pour a little into the crankcase, dump the rest of the bottle in the gas tank. thats what i was told and thats what I did. she runs better and has better response and pickup, now i chirp the tires without even trying. better mileage too after even with gettin into the gas a little at every red light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clean your throttle body!