DIY - Replacement of crank sensor

Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 AM
FredJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY - Replacement of crank sensor

With pointers from others who posted to this forum I worked out a relatively easy way to change the crank sensor in my 94 Ram 2500 5.9. Like so many things, the key is the prep, and this is where the tips were useful.

I began by placing a 2x8 sheet of 3/4 ply across the front of the engine bay and a foam pad on top (I expected to be there awhile). I then removed the air cleaner components, put a rag of the throttle body intake, removed the spark plug wires on the even bank (passenger side)(tip 1), tied aside various vacuum lines and the heater hose such that I had relatively clear access to the area behind the valve cover and auto transmission fill/check tube (tip 2). Then I removed the exhaust heat shield attached to the firewall (tip 3). I used a 1/4" ratchet, extensions, universal and 13 mm deep well on the 3 nuts. I removed the nuts from under the truck but wiggled the heat shield up and out from the top (putting it back the same way). From below the truck I could see the bolts holding the sensor but could not get enough hand up there to do anything, but I was able to determine their approximate angle relative to the valve cover and see that they were positioned under the EGR tube that runs from the back of the head to the block. This EGR tube has a dip or kink in it that bends toward the block in the middle. The crank sensor bolts (mine are 5/16 x 3/4 x 1/4" allen) are under the more "open" portions of the EGR tube, one to the left side and one to the right side of the dip/kink.

The real deal, however, is the tool. I have attached 3 pictures. Img 1 shows the 6" long "wobble head" 1/4" allen wrench with a 3/8" drive. Img 2 shows the tool inserted in the bolt and the amount of deflection enabled. The 3rd image shows the way I used a small amount of electrical tape around the tool and head of the bolt to make insertion easier.

I lay on top of the foam padded plywood with my forehead on the exposed edge of the engine bay with the hood up. I was able to just feel the bolts with my left hand, going in just below the valve cover, over the EGR tube, and with my right hand going in just to the right of the valve cover. Using the tool shown it was easy to get it inserted into the bolt I wanted and a simple matter to break it free and remove it. Getting the sensor itself out took a bit of judicious wiggling, and unplugging the electrical connection (driver's side of the distributor, behind a bunch of other wiring) was a bit of a challenge.

Everything went back in quickly. The wobble head allen wrench allowed just enough displacement from dead square to get a firm insertion into the head of the allen bolts.

Attached Thumbnails DIY - Replacement of crank sensor-img-1.jpg   DIY - Replacement of crank sensor-img-3.jpg   DIY - Replacement of crank sensor-img-2.jpg  

Last edited by FredJ; 04-05-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 PM
FredJ
Default Correction

The heat shield nuts are 13 mm, not 12 mm. I was thinking 1/2" when I typed 12 mm.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice write up. What year truck? 94,95 (egr). And just edit the original post as far as the sizes go. And the year of the truck should be in the title(which I can fix). Then we'll see about adding it to the FAQ/DIY section.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 PM
FredJ

It is a 94, 8' bed. Not in the title, but in the first line.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Yea I know the year is there, I didn't mean to add that extra question. I'll change the title to Replacement of crank sensor, 94 and 95. The newer ones don't have an EGR tube in the way, just the tranny fill tube. Also the newer one's have a multi bolt(for lack of a better word) allen and a socket head. Either way, I personally think it's a good write up, and I'll leave the thread open for now, for anyone that wants to add any pertinent info. More pics would be nice too.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Crank Sensor

Good writeup!!!!! That is a real world crank sensor exchange. That is one thing I have not replaced on my Ram as of yet but I do have one new in the box on the bench. Thanks

Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by guzman
Good writeup!!!!! That is a real world crank sensor exchange. That is one thing I have not replaced on my Ram as of yet but I do have one new in the box on the bench. Thanks
I happen to agree. Regardless of the slight year changes, it still has great info. Like I said, I'll leave it open (for now) so the info can be updated with other helpful tips.

Last edited by zman17; 04-08-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:59 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an easier alternative... 3/8"-6" extension, universal, and a 1/4" allen socket. no need to remove any heat shields, wires, or vac lines. takes 5 minutes, out, 5 minutes in.

kinda got it down to a science, considering ive done it 6 times now, within the last 2 years. 4 of those within the last 2 week. haha

Last edited by redneck_ram; 04-06-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Replacement of crank sensor