2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:27 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Kind of a cumulative post since I work slow .
Today I added the heavy duty headlight relay kit from LMC. Quick and simple install and well worth the $40 in my opinion.
Before that I added a front tow hitch to the toy to hang my winch from, or whatever else needs it. $140 from home depot .
I also added 300 amp rated plugs front and back for the winch or jumper cables. I still need to put them on some kind of protection circuit (any suggestions?), but for now they're just hard wired to the battery.
Most of this has been over the last couple months. Also time for a service on the 408. I'll probably get that done this weekend too.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:36 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Frank,
300 amp is not going to be enough for your winch. At max pull you are looking at 500+ amps for your winch. What size winch do you have? For your truck it is going to have to be a 15,000lb or bigger.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:16 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Frank,
300 amp is not going to be enough for your winch. At max pull you are looking at 500+ amps for your winch. What size winch do you have? For your truck it is going to have to be a 15,000lb or bigger.
I know your right, but...lol. The winch is a champion brand 10,000 lbs. Max amps at stalled load is 400 amps. It is currently setup to just slide into the tow hitch receiver front or back. I got a smoking deal on the winch a few years ago. $200 brand new in the box from a friend. The plugs I'm using were salvage parts from a belly dump electric tarp roller from work. Free.99 is hard to pass up.
The chances of making it to max pull with the current setup is somewhere below slim on the front. It would pull the hitch off first, and if I'm pulling backwards I've screwed up enough to deserve some extra punishment. .
Now, with all this being said, the current future plan is to build bumpers front and rear with winches. I figured when I bought this champion it would be a rear winch, with a stout 12,000~15,000 pounder up front. This trucks live weight is around 6500 lbs with me in it, so a bigger winch will definitely be better.

Anyway, I think I'll stop there before I daydream a whole novel into this post. I'll add some pictures later so everyone can laugh at me.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

A ****** block to double up the cable will get you the pull if needed.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
A ****** block to double up the cable will get you the pull if needed.
Yeah, but, sometimes, having to walk back thru the crap you got yourself stuck in, is a real drag.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:38 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Frank,
Yes your 10,000lb winch is right there at the bare minimum of size for your truck. I have never looked at the spec's on a Champion winch so I don't know the stats. 400 amps seems low but okay and I do understand the free price is hard to pass up.
You should get some disconnect switches for the cables. Just look for some rated at 500+ amps. Like the one used on drag cars or monster trucks. It is just an on/off switch that you turn. That way if you get a short you reach under your hood and flip the switch. You should have your hood up when winching from the front anyhow. Or at least pop the hood so you can get it open fast.
Spillage is correct that you can always use a ****** block. It doubles your line pull but also slows you line speed by half. I'm not trying to shoot down your ideas just trying to share my years of experience. I've been Jeeping and doing vehicle recovery for years now. I run a Warn 8274 8,000lb winch on my Jeep but the Warn upright winch is a workhorse plus I am upgrading my winch to a 6.6hp motor from the stock 4.?hp motor. My Jeep weighs just over 5,000lbs with me in it. So my winch is right there also.

HeyYou, yes having to wade back thru the slop to hook up your winch line can be a bitch but it is all part of the fun. I have waded thru some nasty stuff to get a line hooked up. The Army recovery school even has you swimming thru slop that is over your head. It is tons of fun when it is cold out.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:08 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

I appreciate the input guys. I usually have a couple ****** blocks with me anyway for different stuff, so that's a given that I didn't think to mention. I grew up driving a 55 dodge Power Wagon with the PTO winch on the front. The local tow company would call me and my dad for all the off-road recoveries through the 90s. Made some good money with that gig.
We bent the mount arms twice on that poor old winch... Same truck, in the same spot, about a month apart. 2 legged service truck trying to cross a soft sand wash to go play. Buried the axle both times. Quad-blocked off of a tree to make him move. That was a lot of tension being applied. Lol

Good call on the disconnect switch. I was trying to find a circuit breaker or something that was too complicated.

Anyway, here's a couple pictures before I forget.

​​​​​

​​​I've also found the oil leaks and am going back together now. The main culprit was the pan gasket at the rear had slipped some and wasn't sealing. The rear main was also leaking like I first thought, but it was just a weep past the seam on the bearing cap.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Frank,
I'll give my left nut to have that 55 Power Wagon. I love the old Power Wagons. I'll give my first born too if needed.

I am curious to see how that quick disconnect holds up. Great news on the oil leaks. Keep us posted on how it all works out for you.

Here is an example of the type of switch I am talking about.
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...EJDxoCcuDw_wcB

And then here is an other idea.
https://jet.com/product/detail/cdd16...0K2A&gclsrc=ds

Here is one more for you.
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4407...y-Disconnect-/

Old 12-12-2016, 01:12 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

I don't have much use for a worn out left nut, and I've already got two kids so the first born is out too. If I get off my butt and start my conglomeration project I might have some parts and pieces I'll let go. It just depends on how much of a project you want.

Thanks for the links too. I like the look of the one from e-trailers. I can also get a similar one through my local Napa pretty cheap. Where I buy will depend on the parts man when I go to order it.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:58 AM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how mine is setup. 1/0 cable, anderson 350a powerpoles, blue sea 350a battery switch. Winch is a engo 12k on a cradle for the front/rear hitches.

Name:  tvodFgu.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  73.0 KB
Name:  7dbqFcv.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  81.7 KB

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?