2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Changed out original valve cover gaskets last fall with new felpro. Cut oil consumption by half between changes at 4000mi intervals. Used to add a quart by 1500 miles. Replaced plenum plate with aluminum a couple years back, but was still using more oil than seemed right. Just thought I'd let you all know. Also just did all ball joints. Why do they rivet them to the control arms? What a pain!
So you'd take it to the dealer to be fixed! All 'bout the $$$$

But I feel your pain, I had to change the ball joints out on mine, rivets are a real PITA, on the plus side, next time you need to replace them it's easy peasy!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day went to the junkyard and picked up a factory external tranny cooler, other than the one in the rad. Undid the hoses, and poured out the fluid, looked cleaner than mine currently, and didn't smell burnt, so instead of trying to flush it, I threw it in and called it a day. Not sure what the temp runs, but I'll be towing with it so I want some extra cooling.

To install it in removes the Ac condenser and rad mounts at the top, and removed the rad rail. Removed the V bracket and put the cooler on it, and then had just enough room to slip in inbetween the rad and condenser. Glad I didnt have to pull the radiator, though it would've given me a reason to get the long pit off coolant flush done

Old 04-05-2017, 06:52 AM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last week actually. Sunday tire rotation and oil change. Thursday fuel pump.

Thursday when I went out at lunch time at work, for the first time nearly 20 years I turned the key and for no obvious reason it wouldn't start. It was turning over fine and after a few minutes my guess was fuel pump. Low on options for doing that job in my parking lot at work a coworker gave me a tow over to the shop on base. She was back in business the next morning but I still have the memory of that red Chevy pulling me down the road like a scar on my retina but it's been good for a few days so the trust is coming back.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:02 AM
odzmaker
Rookie

Installed a pair of Spec-D lenses , and a Kensun Bi-xenon 6000k HID kit. all for just a little more than the price of after market "OEM" lenses. And LED indicator lamps/bulbs

Old 04-05-2017, 01:56 PM
misterdent
Default Maintenance

Did some routine maintenance in order to track down a cylinder 6 misfire. Top plug came out of number 6 with a lot of difficulty. Electrode is burned down past the level of the porcelain. Rest of the plugs had lost about .015. Runs much smoother now.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:53 AM
madmikesmech
Professional

Installed new front brake pads.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:45 PM
gorilla_skater

Output speed sensor, finally fixed the problem of not shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by gorilla_skater
Output speed sensor, finally fixed the problem of not shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Did it ever set a code? My truck REALLY likes to hang on to first gear, especially when its cold...... I may have to investigate that sensor.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:32 PM
RAMNDHILLS
Default BlueDriver for Bluetooth OBD2 diagnostic

Bought a BlueDriver for Bluetooth OBD2 diagnostic. Check Engine light has something to do with a transmission speed monitor. Can't give you anymore than that since I'm busy with other stuff. But that problem along with the AC is on my list of fixits.

A little nerd weirdness because buying a new tool and only finding one problem on a 16 year old (2000 Ram) vehicle. Strange sense of disappointment set in but a few beers helped me to achieve a sense of balance.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Wired up some new leds above the bumper since the old ones died off. Also found out why my driving lights quit. The switch had loosened so after tracing it back from the battery I was relieved it was that simple.

Also went to pick up new brakes for the rear but of course, they never have everything you need in stock. UGH!

Changed oil and dumped three old gallons off at Oreillys. Also found my big vacuum leak while under there. The line to the CAD had come apart again. Stupid cheap Dorkman rubber boot had split. Meanwhile, the OEM line above it still works fine 18 years later....

Also replaced the two vacuum check valves under the hood. Napa wanted $18 for one!!!!!!! So I ordered them on amazon as AC Delco part #14047619 for chebby trucks. Same exact part and much better than china crap. Only $8 each! These are OEM for us too with the white/black design. Back to perfect vents once again!

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?