2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:24 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hauled 2 more loads of firewood up from the creek, didn't use chains today

Old 10-20-2014, 04:30 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Topped the fluids yesterday and drove it about 70 miles. Got to engage 4WD in a field :-)

Old 10-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Hauled 2 more loads of firewood up from the creek, didn't use chains today
He is getting brave......

Old 10-20-2014, 06:48 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
He is getting brave......
Yup

Pulled a half cut Maple tree up the bank to finish cutting it, it's been down since the end of last winter but the bastard was still heavy.

Name:  20141020_112435_zps5c5f14d1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  193.4 KB
Name:  20141020_112455_zps9f18f888.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  199.9 KB

Half loaded:
Name:  20141020_112439_zps6bb3bcbb.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  109.5 KB

And the work horse, trusty ole Stihl 029:
Name:  20141020_112510_zps8400ce21.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  156.8 KB

Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

You ever cut down a real tree I will come pull it for Ya

Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
If you have stock heads kiss them goodbye. If they ran out of water the temperature was most certainly well in excess of the 235 on your temp gauge. Change your oil right away too.

Put it this way: If stock heads can't handle the 190* factory running temp how much do you think they can handle at temps over 235*?

And I hate to break it to you, putting cold water in out of a hose into a steaming hot engine is a BAD idea. Could crack your block easily.
They are the original heads

It took about 2gal to fill, so it wasn't empty.

I got off the road and shut down as soon as the warning sounded... that is why I asked the question of what temp does the warning sound?

I didn't just flood an overheated engine with cold water (that would not be smart)... the temp gauge was back to 130°F... I started and slowly added water from the hose... remember ambient temp of 84°F, and we've had mid 80's temps here for months, so the water temp is not "cold"... the e'fan didn't kick in at start, so the temp wasn't over 180°F.

New heads are on my list, but I'm hoping this doesn't make it a "now" purchase... there's too many other $$ items to do with the heads.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Rescue35
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Well it matters which one so that you know what your gear reduction is... Did you get a Dodge one to keep with be 23 spline, otherwise it's 10 spline.

Here is a breakdown on the reductions...

Are you going to add the Behemoth doubler to help with that driveshaft length? I can't remember if you are standard cab.

"Dedicated wheeling ring" does not answer "what kind of slow stuff".
Well then, it is the L. I counted the revolutions of the input in first gear and was close to 7 once the output made it all the way around. it is a Dodge and has the long tail housing and a 23 spline input and output. I had considered a doubler but for now I will just mate it up to the NP231.

The trails we have around here are mostly washed out dirt roads although you can find some rocks in the right places. We do have a couple of offroad parks within a 2-3 hour drive. About the only offroading I don't care for is Mud.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
And the work horse, trusty ole Stihl 029:
Good saw, but I didn't know they made bars that short for it.

Just good natured teasing. It's a fine saw and a suitable bar, too.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All I did with ye olde truck today was remove the glove box, instrument cluster bezel (the Zman special, still lookin' fine), and radio for what felt like the 99th time in the bluetooth car kit adventure, and then remove the cute little metal box of the car kit. I would have mailed the thing away to the manufacturer, too, but the postal orifice closed before I got there because we got busy petting the cat who lives at the public library. Oh well.

That said, it was a major PITA to get the manufacturer to accept that the thing was broke, but they did eventually get around to issuing me an RMA and they also agreed to do a warranty exchange even though I bought it from some dipstick fleabay seller who is not an authorized dealer, AND they agreed to swap out just the box without demanding that I return all of the ancillary pieces. I would have been money ahead to just buy another from some other dipstick fleabay seller as I was taking time out of my workday to email back and forth with the manufacturer, but I was curious to see where that path might lead. It actually led to the manufacturer saying that they'd swap the thing under warranty even if the warranty were already expired. Kudos to 'em for that.

If they live up to their word and the replacement works as well as the original unit but without the intermittent failure I'll be back to rave about the silly little thing.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
All I did with ye olde truck today was remove the glove box, instrument cluster bezel (the Zman special, still lookin' fine), and radio for what felt like the 99th time in the bluetooth car kit adventure, and then remove the cute little metal box of the car kit. I would have mailed the thing away to the manufacturer, too, but the postal orifice closed before I got there because we got busy petting the cat who lives at the public library. Oh well.

That said, it was a major PITA to get the manufacturer to accept that the thing was broke, but they did eventually get around to issuing me an RMA and they also agreed to do a warranty exchange even though I bought it from some dipstick fleabay seller who is not an authorized dealer, AND they agreed to swap out just the box without demanding that I return all of the ancillary pieces. I would have been money ahead to just buy another from some other dipstick fleabay seller as I was taking time out of my workday to email back and forth with the manufacturer, but I was curious to see where that path might lead. It actually led to the manufacturer saying that they'd swap the thing under warranty even if the warranty were already expired. Kudos to 'em for that.

If they live up to their word and the replacement works as well as the original unit but without the intermittent failure I'll be back to rave about the silly little thing.
Good to hear of a company actually providing some service. Normally all you hear is the horror stories.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?