2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

SCT Tuner Review on stock motor..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

A tuner will help a bit. I don't have the SCT but have heard it helps a stock motor some. It's biggest advantage as I understand it is the ability to give it massively altered custom tunes appropriate for the more major mechanical mods such as turbo charging or altered cam profiles. If you are looking to tow everyone always talked about a magical KRC towing cam that I never really got interested in since mine is OBD1 and can't use the SCT.

It might make sense to start by opening up the exhaust with high flow cat and bigger pipes and all that. That stuff made a very nice difference on my truck, though I don't know how clogged my original cat was. Exhaust mods is something you will want down the road after you've decided which path to take and isn't wasted money for mostengine building destinations.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:53 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into getting the SCT tuner and tuned by Hemifever. I have just put 4.56 gears in it and will be rebuilding the motor and doing the 408 stroker kit for it. Glad to hear that the tune helps even on a stock motor. I have a 96 with the 5.9.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:33 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Hemibuck
I am looking into getting the SCT tuner and tuned by Hemifever. I have just put 4.56 gears in it and will be rebuilding the motor and doing the 408 stroker kit for it. Glad to hear that the tune helps even on a stock motor. I have a 96 with the 5.9.
SCT works great on a stock motor. I've got a few of the x3 3200 models left in stock. We are still waiting on the new BDX tuner to have '96 to '03 support. Oh, and I've got tune updates for older tunes since SCT has fixed so many of the tuning tables. If you have old tunes of mine send me a pm so we can get you updated to the latest stuff.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Originally Posted by hemifever
SCT works great on a stock motor. I've got a few of the x3 3200 models left in stock. We are still waiting on the new BDX tuner to have '96 to '03 support. Oh, and I've got tune updates for older tunes since SCT has fixed so many of the tuning tables. If you have old tunes of mine send me a pm so we can get you updated to the latest stuff.
I think we have been talking via email. Is this Shawn?

Old 12-18-2016, 01:06 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

He just got done with my shelby durango, I have to say he's got patience. I had so many issues that he helped me through. Did a good job as well.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I installed the updates Sean recently provided for the SCT 9550.
I was pleasantly supersized, as I was not expecting a lot from an update.
There is a noticeable improvement low and mid RPM throttle response.

Thanks Sean, for the unexpected Xmas present.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:47 PM
Hemibuck
Veteran

Originally Posted by Spillage
I installed the updates Sean recently provided for the SCT 9550.
I was pleasantly supersized, as I was not expecting a lot from an update.
There is a noticeable improvement low and mid RPM throttle response.

Thanks Sean, for the unexpected Xmas present.
Nice! I just swapped out the IAC, TPS and threw in a 180 stat. I'm thinking I'm ready for the SCT and a tune!

Old 01-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Ramx2
Amateur

Hey guys just curious if this tuner will work on a 4.7 or if its even worth it to get a tune.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Ramx2
Amateur

Oh and Happy New Year everyone.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:46 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Well the 9550 tuner was discontinued but it was replaced by the better (and more expensive and now discontinued) x3 but most companies still have some x3's on the shelf. The tunes were done by independent people and loaded onto the above tuners. So short answer is check with the independent person whether they will do your truck or have a tune ready to go. My guess is they do. The two most popular are hemifever tuning and flyin' ryan performance.

Quick Reply: SCT Tuner Review on stock motor..