2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2001 Dashboard Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:57 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Dashboard Cracks

ORIGINAL: dbraeckel

I'll never touch a Dodge again.
Then don't. Your loss. Go buy your crappy Chevrolet that will break down on you within 50,000 miles and have no power. Or go buy a Ford, they never break down on you, but they always have a million little things go wrong with them. Never enough to cause you to total it, but always costly.

Ever think its just that dealership? Give me a break dude. I know of a great dealership an hour from my place that, if that happened on a Dodge I bought from them, they'd replace it with no questions asked, no problems. However, the dealership (or two) a mile or so from my place sound a lot like yours.

My father-in-law once bought a Chevrolet Cavalier. It would do random, insane things like the windows would go up and down on their own, the engine would surge when you hit the brake, stop when you hit the gas, etc. The dealership and Chevrolet the company denied anything was wrong with it... until the assistant manager who was test-driving it for problems plowed into the dealership wall when he went to park it.

A cracked dash is a small thing compared to that. However, I can somewhat understand you hating Dodge or Chrysler for the cracked dash and not wanting to fix it. All vehicle brands have their quirks like that.

As far as that botched repair goes, life sucks, you should have learned a lesson. Deal with it. Don't go back to that particular stealership. But you didn't, instead you are blaming the brand name for a mistake YOU made, taking it to a stealership who obviously doesn't care about your business. Taking it to a stealership for a repair, unless it was completely free, is a dumb idea in the first place.

Again, I say, give me a break.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
JustinKayz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 has extensive cracking and a hole about the size of a baseball in the dash. This is just another in a long list of issues in my Dodge truck owning experience. I will never, ever buy another Chrysler product again and, I am always sure to tell everyone I know to avoid Chrysler products as well...not just because of my experience but, the experiences of other Dodge owners I have witnessed over the years. The sooner they go belly up and quit screwing the consumer, the better off everyone will be. In the meantime, I have siliconed the cracks and ordered a Coverlay dash cover which should arrive soon. I have to wonder how many people are out there with this same problem that arenot on this forum. We are surely just a fraction of Dodge truck owners that are experiencing this problem. They will never own up to this!!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:12 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I'll never touch a Dodge again.
[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

ORIGINAL: JustinKayz

My 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 has extensive cracking and a hole about the size of a baseball in the dash. This is just another in a long list of issues in my Dodge truck owning experience. I will never, ever buy another Chrysler product again and, I am always sure to tell everyone I know to avoid Chrysler products as well...not just because of my experience but, the experiences of other Dodge owners I have witnessed over the years. The sooner they go belly up and quit screwing the consumer, the better off everyone will be. In the meantime, I have siliconed the cracks and ordered a Coverlay dash cover which should arrive soon. I have to wonder how many people are out there with this same problem that arenot on this forum. We are surely just a fraction of Dodge truck owners that are experiencing this problem. They will never own up to this!!
Its a nine year old vehicle. OF COURSE they won't own up to it! Come on! No vehicle manufacturer will go over ten years for any problems except Chrysler's powertrain warranty on their brand new vehicles, and not a single manufacturer goes over 5 years for anything like the dash or other stuff unrelated to the powertrain. Give me a break.

All vehicle manufacturers are the same in that regard, not just Chrysler. Come down off your rant and get over it.

And all vehicles are the same in that if you don't take care of them (or if the previous owners didn't), you will have issues, regardless of brand. Common sense. My dash has not cracked and shows no signs of it. My guess is its a small percentage of the overall Dodge Ram "population" that has this problem, no offense to you guys that do. Does it make you mad? Sure. Should you go wining about Chrysler not backing up their trucks, no. These are old trucks, relatively speaking. You're going to have maintenance and repairs like that.

Most of the time people join a forum to get help for problems, so if anything, the forum should be filled with Dodge owners who have had problems, not the other way around. So your assumption that lots of people having this problem and not being on the forum is majorly flawed. Are there some, sure, but not as many as you'd like to think. Stop trying to console yourself and get over it.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:59 PM
JustinKayz

Obviously you haven't gone back through the previous pages to see just how many complaints there are regarding the dashboards on this vehicle. It was more than enough to get a news organization in Florida involved a couple of years ago. Or, perharps you're a Dodge salesman trying to defend the junk they put on the road.Either way, you can keep sucking on Dodges' tailpipe. Later...

Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I have gone through most the pages.

I'm not a salesman for Dodge. I sell computers.

I've owned only two Dodges, but my family has owned an additional three or four over the years. No major problems at all. Just basic maintenance stuff or a few small things caused by previous owners.

I'm not saying it isn't a problem, all I'm saying is that it is a small percentage of the total Rams owned. Should Chrysler own up to it? Maybe. But its not a reason to hate Dodges. (Basically restating my earlier posts.)

Besides, you take that chance when no warranty exists. You can't get something for nothing. Sh*& happens. Live with it, grow up.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have heard the the true problem is a combination of VERY cheap plastic resin in the dash (posibbly even recycled resin) and overtorquing of the set screws on the dash (especially near the windshield) from the factory. The resin you can't do much about, but you could remove the bolts from the dash near the windshield and place a felt "washer" underneath and torque down lightly.

This will be a "must do" improvement from me when I puchase my next Ram, regardless of the promises made by any dealership.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
CommitedOwner

I have taken out the dash on my 01 and found that it is connected to the vent system which inturn puts a bind on the dash. My analysis is that the vent system does vibrate which causes it to weaken and crack.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
SilverRam_01
Captain

I just ABS glued mine back together. Looks better than holes everywhere.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:04 PM
xx2000RAMxx

My 2000 dash cracked 5 years ago. Almost nothing left of it now. First, last, and only Dodge I will ever buy.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dashboard Cracks