2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2001 Dashboard Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice explanation; however, the problem with dashes cracking and disintegrating is fairly common with all Dodge/Chrysler vehicles starting in the 1990s.

FWIW, my 2006 Mazda 3 Dash has a large crack in it (a two-piece dash with the forward piece by the windshield being broken). I attribute the crack in it to the fact that I live on a rough gravel road that looks like it has been subject to constant shelling from enemy forces. The dash in my formerly owned 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier cracked as well.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
msd24200
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Nice explanation; however, the problem with dashes cracking and disintegrating is fairly common with all Dodge/Chrysler vehicles starting in the 1990s.

FWIW, my 2006 Mazda 3 Dash has a large crack in it (a two-piece dash with the forward piece by the windshield being broken). I attribute the crack in it to the fact that I live on a rough gravel road that looks like it has been subject to constant shelling from enemy forces. The dash in my formerly owned 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier cracked as well.
This is true although the dodge problem is way premature it shouldn't crack so easily so soon. I agree with some others as well that a different plastic should have been used and there is no doubt to that. I'm planning on going with an aftermarket replacement made of abs, comes in black and I have a friend that is going to paint the pcs dark slate gray.

I just like to say that I didn't dig this thread up to beat this subject to death any further. Countless websites, forum's, and articles and most of what I read were people's opinions as to why the dashes crack, no valid findings with explanations. People wanting free replacement parts, etc and that's not my intent. My only intent was to share my findings and give explanation about my findings that were more informative rather than opinionated. I wanted someone to find my comment and come away with the feeling that they know why this happened.

I'd like to add my 96 jeep grand cherokee has no dash cracks at all! It's never been kept in or under anything been outside for almost 20 years and has 221,753 miles on original motor and transmission. Gets 21.3 mpg

Last edited by msd24200; 02-26-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dash has only very recently developed a hairline crack near a center vent. I'll be ripping the stereo out to gain access underneath and reinforcing the area with fiberglass, as it doesnt show if I line the two sides of the dash up. Yes, the dash material is ****ty. But using sunshades and cracking the windows when parked to significantly reduce interior temps goes a long way to promote longevity.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unsubscribing from this thread so that my blood pressure stays at a healthy level...

Quick Reply: 2001 Dashboard Cracks