2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New buyer quesitons

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM
hershpga
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New buyer quesitons

Ok so I have been lurking here for a little while and have came across a lot of transmission problem posts. I saw the thread regarding the common problems and that was helpful to kind of know what I would be getting into if I purchase a Dodge. I don't really plan on pulling anything, just utilizing the bed and the 4x4.

How are you supposed to take care of these trannies differently than any other truck/car to prevent rebuilding or replacing the trans?

Any other help on these trucks would be great...time to keep searching

Cheers

Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check Valve Delete, keeps the fluid flowing to the transmission.
Don't use overdrive unless your on nice flat ground.
Keep them nice and cool.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup. I haul. I tow. I plow. I put 48,000 miles on it in 3 1/2 years. Have 150,000 now. Still going strong.

The trans problems are common, but not as common as you would think. How many 2nd gens were built? Compare that to how many have problems. Everybody will come to these boards to b1tch and complain about the problems they have. I have yet to see a post about how good their vehicle is.

Just a little food for thought and of course, this is just my opinion.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kejobe
Yup. I haul. I tow. I plow. I put 48,000 miles on it in 3 1/2 years. Have 150,000 now. Still going strong.

The trans problems are common, but not as common as you would think. How many 2nd gens were built? Compare that to how many have problems. Everybody will come to these boards to b1tch and complain about the problems they have. I have yet to see a post about how good their vehicle is.

i tow, plow, and haul with mine too. no problems yet. we shall see if it will be able to handle the new motor this spring, but im going to try to get a better converter.

its all in how well you take care of the vehicle.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe

My truck was a POS when I got it - but I knew that going in. (My BIL owes me bigtime!)

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
i tow, plow, and haul with mine too. no problems yet. we shall see if it will be able to handle the new motor this spring, but im going to try to get a better converter.

its all in how well you take care of the vehicle.
All of the issues my truck had were direwctly realted to not being maintained and being abused. But it is a great truck now. I would not sell it for 4x what I gave for it. (Now you have, Kejobe!)

Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to regular fluid changes, there's also a good number of aftermarket improvements that can be done to the 46re and rh trannies...Borg Warner solenoids, deeper tranny pan w/ filter drop, shift kits, external coolers, etc. PATC is a good company, check their website out

Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
In addition to regular fluid changes, there's also a good number of aftermarket improvements that can be done to the 46re and rh trannies...Borg Warner solenoids, deeper tranny pan w/ filter drop, shift kits, external coolers, etc. PATC is a good company, check their website out
This, and I upgraded my transmission to the heavier Borg-Warner bands versus the paper-thin stock bands.

Quick Reply: New buyer quesitons