2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Replace the Plenum or go air gap route?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's also interesting to note the hughes plate is at least a 1/4" thick aluminum. That cures the bolt problem, and the myth of dissimilar metals.

My guess is that it is in fact the bolt lengths, but I'll wager Hughes doesn't mind letting the "dissimilar metals" theory persist.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno every mechanic I've talked to inluding my own says the bolts aren't the issue.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 PM
mjonesjr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone got a link to the Hughes kit?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
No the issue was the metals. Metals warp at different temps. Mixing steel and Aluminum are bad when they are used in high temp applications.
So then I guess that's why we have such a terrible problem with the steel pans on our aluminum-cased automatic transmissions leaking all over the place, huh?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:36 PM
JRob238
Professional

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
So then I guess that's why we have such a terrible problem with the steel pans on our aluminum-cased automatic transmissions leaking all over the place, huh?
haha valid point

Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its a way over priced thing.

Looks cool but I can justify it. 600 bucks could be spent toward better up grades.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Lol while it sounds good theoretically by comparison... The gasket used is considerably different. The stock gasket is metal core rubber on both sides for the trans. The gasket is quite thick and would imagine if there were different thermal expansion rates that the gasket would take up the slack for the most part with how much squish the gasket has. I want to say it is close to 1/4" thick from memory.

The stock plenum gasket isn't thick rubber coated like the trans gasket, nor was it metal core, and is also very thin compared to the trans gasket. imho, your comparison is comparing apples to oranges. Find something closer to compare with

Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How confident are you guys that the problem is in the bolts and NOT the metals? Lets say I were to change my gasket and use the steel plate with shorter bolts instead of an aluminum plate which I planned to do, sorta like a long term test of this theory.... If you are right and it solves the problem then we will have learned a great lesson for this place, if you are wrong and it blows out again....hmmm, maybe you guys buy ME an airgap or at least a hughes plate?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 PM
always_something

I read somewhere that some guys were o-ringing the plenum. You could also port kegger some then tig it. Or buy used m-1 on ebay or boards. Lots of options really. And yes, different metals expand and contrast at different rates. This varies with material and varies with thickness. Thicker aluminum would expand/contract slower than the thinner. A combination of the thicker aluminum and that making bolts shorter in the case probably both contribute. That's probably why a thin metal pan works on aluminum tranny.

Last edited by always_something; 08-02-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Replace the Plenum or go air gap route?