Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech > 2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Have to replace front 4WD U-Joints

Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 AM
1998 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd
Default Have to replace front 4WD U-Joints

HELP!! I want to know, is it a major project to replce the front 4WD Universal Joints on a 98 Dodge Ram 1500. My truck has been making "a loud clicking" noise from the front end, climbed underneath it and notice both front whell drive U-Joints are worn out, sloppy-loose. I have been warned, this job is extremely difficult, probably gonna cost me 800-1000 and not to do it. Have a Pro handle it. Problem is money is tight, I need my truck to plow this winter and It does not look that difficult. Any of you hardcore Dodge threads have any advise, should I DIY or have it done by a pro??
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Captain
1996 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 4X4

From what I remember(I haven't done this... yet), most people one here have done the U Joints themselves. Definitely get spicer if you do do it yourself. and if I remember right, they aren't THAT expensive for the parts.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 01 1500 4wd

its a pretty big job. you'll need jack stands, jack, very stout impact wrench, 1-11/16 socket, pull bar, 12pt 14mm. if you can get the axle nut off, and the bearing out of the knuckle, then you're home free. if you can't, then the job starts to suck quick. use the Precision brand 377 super strength greasable joints from napa. they're expensive at 29 ea.

here's the best articles. there's a lot of discussion on this site in the 2nd gen main forum.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-5.html
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-3.html

when i first got my truck i looked at those pavement repair guides and thought to myself, oh crap what have i gotten myself into now. 4 years later i've ended up doing almost every one of them. once you get started, most aren't too bad, but you've got to have an impact wrench.
01 1500 Reg Cab 4wd 5.2 auto 3.55 285/75/16 steps tow hooks sc3815 180 3923 trans cooler filter posilok powertrax (removed) timbren britebox pioneer head rockford amp speaker cobra cb firestick hughes plenum water pump timing chain oil pump rear main hub bearings brakes shocks cracked dash cad bushings seals ujoints trackbar tcase Robert Griffin Trans

Last edited by dhvaughan; 09-26-2010 at 09:01 AM..
Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Grand Champion
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2
Send a message via AIM to Sheriff420

A breaker bar, a good penetrating fluid and a little muscle are a suitable substitute for an impact wrench.

A prybar in the cooling vanes of the rotor resting against the caliper bracket will keep the rotor still so you can crack the hub nut.
Click the image to open in full size.

A home made scraper will get the crud out of the axle tube. I used a piece of scrap sheet metal and clipped it in the shape of half of the axle tube then smoothed it out with a grinder. Then I used a couple screws to secure it to the end of a scrap board.

A junk socket or a dowel the same size as the u-joint caps along with a hammer is a good way to get the u-joints moving out of the yokes. If you mess up like I did and knock it too far out of the yoke (instead of halfway like you're supposed to) then an angle grinder and a dremel will make it easy to get the u-joint out.

Hit the sealing surface on the end of the axle shafts with some 400-1000 grit sandpaper to make sure they're clean and smooth before re-installing them.

And don't forget the anti-seize when you put it all back together.

Airgap. HS 1.7s. 50mm DIY TB. SC 3815. 14x2. 4.10 Yukons. Detroit Truetrac-both axles. Front hitch. Rear hitch lights with skid plates. 4 100w off road lights in brush guard. 2 55w lights in front bumper. Westin brush guard/nerf bars. 33" Treadwrights.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 AM