2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Differential Covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 04:10 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Differential Covers

Videos for Banks' Power appeared in my YouTube feed a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd give them a shot. A year or two ago, I toyed with the idea of getting a custom differential cover for my Gen III. After watching these videos, I'm glad I didn't go that route and drop that kind of coin. Gale does thorough testing and goes into great detail with his analysis. AFIK, Part 3 of Do Diff Covers Work? hasn't been posted, yet.

Last edited by Gary-L; 10-15-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm also interested in seeing the results, My guess is that it won't be much difference in temp compared to the stock cover. I doubt that most daily drivers even towing will see 336*

Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been watching this series too. You just know Gale is going to put his own cover out at some point. I'll be in line for that cover.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
I'm also interested in seeing the results, My guess is that it won't be much difference in temp compared to the stock cover. I doubt that most daily drivers even towing will see 336*

Actually, he's pointing out that the "fancy" covers are starving the pinion bearing by interrupting the proper flow of the differential fluid. They're also casing an increase in temperature of the fluid along with aerating the fluid. Long story short, they're doing more harm than good, so the vehicle owner is better off with the stock differential cover.

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
I've been watching this series too. You just know Gale is going to put his own cover out at some point. I'll be in line for that cover.
It will be interesting to see what his final results are, and if he'll be offering his own version. I have to say that unlike most presentations, he throws a lot of great information out there but doesn't bore me at all.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:21 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I've always had my doubts about those covers. Thank God for someone like Gale Banks to invest the time and money to shed some light on this.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

So here we are, end of October, and he was supposed to have part 3 out in the middle of September..... Wonder if he discovered that this was going to be more work than he thought.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So here we are, end of October, and he was supposed to have part 3 out in the middle of September..... Wonder if he discovered that this was going to be more work than he thought.
Unlike Elon Mush, Gale strikes me as a non-bull****ter. He's most likely taking his time and doing it right. He has said all along that he is either learning as he goes or every experiment yields results that weren't expected. The data he is collecting, along with the results, are probably having an effect on his progress. That's all good, because no matter how technical he gets in his explanations, I don't get the least bit bored.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Unlike Elon Mush, Gale strikes me as a non-bull****ter. He's most likely taking his time and doing it right. He has said all along that he is either learning as he goes or every experiment yields results that weren't expected. The data he is collecting, along with the results, are probably having an effect on his progress. That's all good, because no matter how technical he gets in his explanations, I don't get the least bit bored.

Yeah, the stuff he was talking about made a LOT of sense. Though I think as an 'instructor' of sorts..... he leaves a bit to be desired. That said, the vids are VERY informative. Looking forward to the next installment.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:49 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The clear covers sure were eye opening.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:40 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't think there is even a need for those covers if you stay close to the rated limit of the truck and keep good fluid in it. Interesting stuff none the less.

Quick Reply: Differential Covers