2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dad's newest ride

Old 04-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dad's newest ride

For those of you who know more than Dodge trucks, this is a pretty cool little story. My dad works for a non-profit organization that provides transitional housing for (primarily) homeless single mothers. He was a preacher before this job, and still carries his ministers licence with the Assemblies of God. He has never made a lot of money.

A few weeks ago while picking up a donation from an older fellow, he noticed an old car under a tarp on the side of the property. He has always been a car nut, I got it from him. He looks a little closer and sees that it is some sort of very sleek coupe. Then spots the wire spoke knock off's. To someone who know what they are looking at, they are obviously Jaguar wheels. Jaguar XKE wheels. So he asks the old guy if he is wanting to get rid of it. The guy says yea. Dad shows up a few days later and buys it.

This one is a complete '64 XKE with the early 3.8 (not the 4.2 which came out in late '64 and is less desirable). Very very cool and rare car. The racing heritage behind these cars is extremely impressive. Here are some pics I took the other day, as we were starting to clean up the car for the first time.

Everything that appears to be missing (doors, interior, carbs, trim, etc) was included with the sale. The only thing we have found so far that is not there is the original steering wheel, which is a big bummer. The one that is on it is all kinds of wrong. Still a sweet find, once in a lifetime for sure. The car is pretty much rust free, so that is very lucky as well.

Just thought some of the car geeks like me out there would enjoy reading this cool story.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 04-29-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:47 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wow. nice find but my only concern is how many more $4000 bills will it take to get it running and driving. is there a jag forum?

Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

What a steal. Here's one in about the same condition that is selling for over $20k.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/...itemid=1694453

Restores ones going anywhere from $30k to $75k

Last edited by jkeaton; 04-28-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Great find!

If got mine from a parking lot for 1000 dollars. (77 5.0 V-12, auto) Unfortunately, mine had sat in a field for a couple decades, and the body was shot. Paint was the only thing holding it together. I ended up scrapping it, and parting it out...... Doubled my money on it at least..

Old 04-28-2013, 10:59 AM
merc225hp
Champion

MMMMM British racing green I love it. Very kool nice! Yep lot's of money to restore but well worth it. I know you said all the parts are there but I have to ask do you have the CARBS? Time to be buying some British Whitworth tools there guy's.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Yes the carbs are in the shed as well. My dad mostly bought it because he HAD to at that price. The plan started out as a get rich quick scheme, make $10k+ on it, but now he is wanting to get it running... You know how that can go.

I will keep y'all in the loop with what is going on with this old jewel.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:15 PM
merc225hp
Champion

If just doing a flip I would not touch a thing as you said "You know how that can go" You could actually decrease its value. Have fun keep us updated.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is finds like that that have gotten me into trouble! What a great deal!

Here is a place where I buy Jag parts http://www.xks.com/.

Catalogs available (print and CD) free.

There are Jaguar forums, but not as helpful as DF.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by merc225hp
If just doing a flip I would not touch a thing as you said "You know how that can go" You could actually decrease its value. Have fun keep us updated.
Yes that is what I keep telling him, but these cars are the stuff of dreams to his generation, so he has to have his fun. Whatever he does he will still make a ton of money on it.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not inexpensive to restore, but will make every car enthusiast drool when it is done. Those area a fun ride also! Hope your dad enjoys it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dad's newest ride