2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Drop in diesel engine

Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drop in diesel engine

Okay, so I'm gonna blow the big bomb today lol!... (This is my personal idea, not a commercial ad!)

What do you guys think about a drop in replacement turbo diesel engine for the V6 and V8 gasoline engines on 2nd gen Rams? What I'm talking about is a COMPLETE kit (tailored for your year) that retains a factory look, no frame cutting or drilling, as it reuses the exact same motor mounts and the same transmission bellhousing, so it can also reuse your current transmission (46RE/RH, NV3500/NV4500, no 42RE/RHs or 47RE/RHs though) without new transmission mounts or crossmembers. The idea of this engine is NOT to create a competitor for the Cummins. Its sole purpose is giving V gasoline engine owners a reasonably affordable kit to upgrade from the gasser to a diesel without extra complexity and cost, while providing them with significantly better fuel economy and the ability to develop cheap and reliable power. Horsepower outputs would depend upon your setup (things like trannys and axles).

What I've been working on is a 5.5L V8 turbo diesel, with dual injectors per cylinder. It features 3 valves per cylinder, and dual turbochargers, intakes, and intercoolers. It shares mounts and bellhousings with the Dodge Magnum V8 gasoline engines, thus making the swap all that much easier.

And yes it is a computer controlled engine, for automatic transmission users the kit will provide a TCU as well. My idea is to provide a harness that plugs right into the factory harness thus reducing complexity and making the swap that much easier. The factory fuel tank is re-used, but a new fuel pump and new fuel lines would be included. The computer tuning platform WILL be released for FREE to the public, and the PCMs are unlocked. Certain tweaks that are known to cause problems will void the warranty however. It would not be available in California.

1500 and 2500 trucks would have a vacuum pump for running brakes and accessories, with hydroboost brakes as option, and 2500HD and 3500 would have hydroboost brakes as standard.

There will be no modification of air conditioning, as it will bolt directly onto the engine. The radiator will go right in place, and while dimensions are the same as the factory gasoline radiator, it is a different one to allow proper cooling.

Note to friends who I have discussed this with elsewhere: I have only revealed the details here I want to be known of my design. Please do not mention any other things about it without my prior permission!

Also, this is not about bashing Cummins. It is not intended as a replacement for Cummins diesels, nor is it intended to compete with Cummins engines. It is designed to replace the V8s with a much better performing engine that gets much better fuel economy, but also can develop reasonable power compared to the Gasser without needing much modification.

Remember all of the above and respect it, then throw it all at me, good or bad

Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Aftermarket support?

And the issue with only supporting the 46RE is not all trucks that have a gasser have a 46RE.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that and the 46re barely holds up to the gasser, what do you think its gonna do behind a diesel?

ohh and its already being done. I saw a add for a company, think it was in texas, that is doing cummins conversions. They do the whole install or sell you a kit.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Aftermarket support?

And the issue with only supporting the 46RE is not all trucks that have a gasser have a 46RE.
Aftermarket support is fairly good actually, as many common parts are swappable with Magnum engine parts even though they might be performance Magnum parts.

Any transmission that will bolt up to the V8 bellhousing pattern will work. V10s and Cummins shared a bell, but it doesn't work with a V8 or V6.

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
that and the 46re barely holds up to the gasser, what do you think its gonna do behind a diesel?

ohh and its already being done. I saw a add for a company, think it was in texas, that is doing cummins conversions. They do the whole install or sell you a kit.
Yeah conversions are being done towards cummins. But none of those kits are entirely complete, drop in, plug the wires in, and go. And the cummins is a REALLY heavy motor to put in. If people want to do frame welding, bolt in mounts, or whatever, to get a cummins, then they wont be happy with anything less, and I would rather they got a cummins conversion kit than this kit. For those who want something different, this is it.

As far as transmission, the kit assumes you have a properly built transmission, whatever it is. You could purchase the kit with a properly built transmission included and ship the old one back as a core, if desired.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I missed the part where you said it would be a 5.5L V8 diesel.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
I missed the part where you said it would be a 5.5L V8 diesel.
That's okay

BTW, for everyone, ask your friends too and post their responses! i would like lots of feedback! Around my area I have at least 10 guys interested in it already.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Whose engine is it? Please don't say Detroit Diesel...

Old 07-02-2013, 08:44 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Mine. No one elses.

Edit: The official name is the ThoroughStroke Turbo Diesel. That name IS a personal trademark of mine, FYI.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the million dollar question - how much will it cost?

more or less than selling the gasser and buying a 2500 diesel?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:48 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Well, all I can say is go for it. But you won't make money off it. 2nd gen Rams aren't much loved in general circles and most 2nd gen owners don't give a rats ***.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drop in diesel engine