2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Front axle leaking gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle leaking gear oil

I have a slow oil leak, leaks down on lower ball joint. Figured an easy fix, that there would be an oil seal at end of axle shaft. NO, that doesn't look to be the case. Looks like the seals are in center on each side of jug/differential. From page 3-33 of the manual, it looks like the whole front axle assembly needs to come out for a silly seal? Am I seeing this wrong, please advise. Also, looks like a bunch of special tools. This looks way over my head and will be over budget to have someone else do, things use to be so much simpler. I am thinking I may just check lube level and keep watch, it is not like there is a big puddle, hardly a drop. On page 3-55 om shop manual it says lube level with fill hole and use 80 or 90 weight. However I have seen on here somewhere that suggest 1/2 below fill hole. Please advise, I don't think I have tools or ability to fix. Get repaired and pay 7 hours labor plus parts and hope they really know what they are doing (sometimes I find these guys know less than me). Or where I am leaning toward, let it be and keep it at a correct level.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you are reading it correct that you must disassemble the entire f****** front end to replace a silly $10 seal.

its fine to monitor the level, keep it a smidgen low and drive on for an unlimited amount of time. one of these days you'll have a cad problem or front axle u-joint problem, or the leak will get worse, and you'll feel up to the job. i waited about 2 years until i had a u-joint problem, then its just more crap on top of that job. the good news is that while i had the axles out i fixed my cad engagement bushings.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take care of it when you go to regear the axles. Otherwise, just maintain oil level.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

been working on this for the last 3 days. its a real PITA but it was time for new ujoints and ball joints and hubs. so why not.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM
diverjer
Professional

Hope all goes well, looks like a big job and one that requires knowledge and skill.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 PM
diverjer
Professional

Mine got to leaking worse. Then I figured a person should change both seals, since both axles have to come out anyway. That right seal looks like it would take a special tool to seat it correctly, not enough room to tap it in. Then both top ball joints were loose. I decided to take it to someone who does this stuff all the time, a place called 4X4 land of Topeka. $687 dollars later, both seals changed out, upper and lower ball joints on both sides changed out. I been told that was a good price? We will see if it stays fixed? I did notice my steering wheel is not straight when driving down road anymore, but it drives straight. They did blow some grease out of the new ball joint dust cover. And the lower ball joints grease certs are impossible to get to, u-joint in way, I will change those out myself for a ninety or 45 degree and replace the tie rod end dust cover which was most likely cracked prior to them knocking it loose.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Considering the ordeal that the drivers side seal is.... that seems a reasonable price.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 AM
diverjer
Professional

I thought it was a fair price and thought I would post so others might have a watermark if they need similar repairs. I think I could have done most of it, that right seal on passengers side looks hardest to me. It is located on the outside of that little opening where the 4 wheel drive engages, There is not enough room to get in there and seat that seal, so I think you need a special tool that pulls it in place. Also I believe one of those ball joints needs pressed out??? Anyway I left it up to people that can do it in there sleep. I guess those new tight joints must have caused my steering wheel to be a little off center when going straight down the road. Then when I see that they blew grease out the new ball joints, makes me wonder if they did sloppy work inside that I can't see. Guess time will tell.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

all of the ball joints are pressed out. Drivers side seal is most difficult, as you have to remove the carrier to even see it...... why they decided to put them in there is absolutely beyond me. Strikes me as rather silly actually. Yep, special tool required and available for installing seals. Can also make your own with some threaded rod. Many have done so.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 PM
diverjer
Professional

Am a little concerned about ball joint they replaced, seems pregnant. Took it back and they look at it and didn't know why it did that, but didn't think it would hurt anything. Been awhile since I posted pic, but finely got it.

[IMG]https://dodgeforum.com/forum/<a href=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pigfarmer/media/Dodge%20Truck%201996/DSC01131_zps0c81a0e8.jpg.html target=_blank>Name:  DSC01131_zps0c81a0e8.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  74.7 KBName:  DSC01131_zps0c81a0e8.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  74.7 KB

Last edited by diverjer; 07-23-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Front axle leaking gear oil