Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech > 2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Dual fuel tanks

Old 09-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Champion
1989 Ford F-350
My Garage

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram F1500HD Custom
Default Dual fuel tanks

So in my quest for all things better and bigger, I have this hankering for dual fuel tanks. I have the factory 35 gallon tank, but even that somedays can disappear pretty quickly when towing, and having a auxiliary to cut down trips to the gas station would be really nice.

I haven't found basically anything online, other than this might have been a option on Cummins trucks, and that my PDC has the relays for dual fuel tanks in both positions, one is used for fog lamps, and the other has wires heading heaven knows where out back.

So does anyone have any ideas on this? One of my friends put a Ford rear tank where his spare tire went, great idea, but I need my spare in the factory location. I don't want one in the bed, so I was thinking maybe putting one in front of the factory one, there's alot of space there!

And if there's a better way lemme know...
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

Where does the aux diesel tank go?

Wonder if you could just take a dodge tank, spin it 180, and mount it on the other side, opposite the existing tank? Would have to fab brackets....

Would also need a fuel line valve, to provide fuel to the rail from whatever tank is currently selected, having a single control deal with both which fuel pump gets power, and valve switching duties would be ideal. Although, two separate switches would make for another layer of security..... I suppose.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
2000 Dodge Ram 2500

Vehicle: 2000 2500HD 4x4 5.9

JMO, but all that will do is add more weight (lower the tow capacity), and you'll also get less mpg's.
2000 2500HD 4X4 5.9 and 4:10's,HF tuned SCT,Red-Head gear box, HS 1.7's,
50mm Fastman TB, Hughes Plate,2" Hell Bent ,Volant CAI
Flowmaster 50 series, Rock Solid Ram Steering fix,B&M trans cooler,fuzzy dice good for 5HP
Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

Gas in the second tank is weightless......
Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
2000 Dodge Ram 2500

Vehicle: 2000 2500HD 4x4 5.9

Lol!
2000 2500HD 4X4 5.9 and 4:10's,HF tuned SCT,Red-Head gear box, HS 1.7's,
50mm Fastman TB, Hughes Plate,2" Hell Bent ,Volant CAI
Flowmaster 50 series, Rock Solid Ram Steering fix,B&M trans cooler,fuzzy dice good for 5HP
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Champion
2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 01 Ram 1500 4x4
Mr Lambman

get a diesel, problem solved
Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Grand Champion
2002 Dodge Ram 2500
My Garage

Vehicle: 02 Ram 2500 cummins
Michael Kokoskie

Why dont you get a small tank for in the bed? There is also bigger replacement tanks to replace yours. How many miles are you getting out of your tank now?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1948 12v cummins powered B1C pickup

transfer flow technologies makes an awsome setup, i have one in the 02, it does take up a little bed space but not bad and holds an additional 80 gallons, so a total of over 120 gallons is awsome! its fully automated with a controller and a digital display mounted in/on the dash, it shows gallons in the aux tank, gallons in the main tank, and total gallons overall, as well as system status, it has an electric pump witch comes on automatically to fill the main tank as needed, and takes over control of the factory fuel gauge and it reads as 120 gallons=full, 0 gallons=empty
Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Champion
1989 Ford F-350
My Garage

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram F1500HD Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Where does the aux diesel tank go?

Wonder if you could just take a dodge tank, spin it 180, and mount it on the other side, opposite the existing tank? Would have to fab brackets....

Would also need a fuel line valve, to provide fuel to the rail from whatever tank is currently selected, having a single control deal with both which fuel pump gets power, and valve switching duties would be ideal. Although, two separate switches would make for another layer of security..... I suppose.
I don't know where the aux diesel tank goes, that's why I asked

And remember I have a carb, so no rail

I've figured out how to manage two separate tanks, but not where to put the tanks and which tanks!

I don't know if my exhaust would be in the way on the other side or not. I'd have to check. I'm not scared to custom fab brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman17 View Post
JMO, but all that will do is add more weight (lower the tow capacity), and you'll also get less mpg's.
I know it will add more weight and lower MPGs, but if we aren't towing we don't have to fill the aux tank.

As far as tow capacity goes, I'm not concerned as I will be swapping axles in the next year or so and I'm staying within 1000lbs of factory rating for towing anyways, and after axle swap I'll have suspension better than a 1 ton, so tow ratings aren't a concern. Good point though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Bone View Post
get a diesel, problem solved
On the list for future mods! And that is serious, Cummins I6 is the candidate. I'll be posting the future plans for the truck sometime here on DF in the order I want to do them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85 View Post
Why dont you get a small tank for in the bed? There is also bigger replacement tanks to replace yours. How many miles are you getting out of your tank now?
I have a toolbox in the bed, and need to be able to remove the tool box fast, and having a tank in the bed would prevent me from using that space. When towing I get roughly 100 at the most Id guess. I just like the extra range when we are doing hay and time is precious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75 View Post
transfer flow technologies makes an awsome setup, i have one in the 02, it does take up a little bed space but not bad and holds an additional 80 gallons, so a total of over 120 gallons is awsome! its fully automated with a controller and a digital display mounted in/on the dash, it shows gallons in the aux tank, gallons in the main tank, and total gallons overall, as well as system status, it has an electric pump witch comes on automatically to fill the main tank as needed, and takes over control of the factory fuel gauge and it reads as 120 gallons=full, 0 gallons=empty
I'd read about that and if it were under the bed I'd consider it, but I want it under the bed.

So thanks guys, I hope you don't think I'm trying to refute you all, I'm not, just want more ideas
Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Legend
2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x2 360V8

Could always steal ideas from a Ford with dual tanks...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 PM