2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The end of the road....

Old 09-24-2013, 01:36 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
D@mn...kick a guy while he's down... at least he's staying with Dodge, unlike some other people who jumped ship when their Ram's **** the bed....
You mean much like yourself?
Originally Posted by Gary-L
136K is low miles. I had my transmission rebuilt for $1,800 (including some serious upgrades) and put 36,000 on that until the truck was pummeled by tornado debris.

Unless there is serious body rot, it seems your decision is a bit rash if you view the transmission rebuild to be like buying a solid truck for $1,800.
I don't normally agree with you much, but I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Mike, wasn't this truck your first vehicle? Hadn't it been in your family a while? Come on, man, just fix it. These trucks are almost vintage now. lol

Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Have fun with the hemi tick, replacing 16 plugs every 30k, weak front end, same trans issues, rear ends that blow from c-clip breaking, HVAC issues galore with plastic blend doors and actuators, oh and the same cracking dash issues!

Best of luck, lol.

Every truck is going to have their problems, but based on the experiences of several people I know personally, the 03-08 Ram with the Hemi have far fewer issues than Chevys and Fords the same years. My brother has an 06 F-150 with the 5.4L, by far the worst vehicle anyone in our family has ever had. I've said it before, If I didn't go with a Dodge, my second choice would be a Nissan Titan, but since they're worth their weight in gold, Dodge it will be when I purchase a newer truck.... which isn't now...

I've decided to rebuild my tranny. I went and looked at 2 trucks, already got approved for both.

Option 1: 2008 Bighorn Edition. 88,000 Miles, $16,000.

Name:  20130923_175627_zps84f52819.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  121.3 KB

Option 2: 2004 Laramie Sport. 127,000 Miles, $9,500.

Name:  20130924_172127_zps99ac93f1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  131.2 KB

Even though I was approved for the White 2008, I'm scared I would be in over my head on it. I would be struggling to keep up with the payments with my current job I have for college, and I would not be able to get my own place for a couple more years with that truck. So, I'm marking it out.
The second truck, the Red 2004, is rough. They won't budge from their asking price, and the rear wheel well is rusted, dents and scratches all over the body. It ran like a chime though. I can comfortably afford the truck but, it just doesn't feel right. Too many little things wrong, like missing key fob, and the dealer was a little shady with the history report.

Dodge Dude, and Gary are right. I'm just gonna go with a rebuild. It's still my first vehicle, I've had it since I was 15 (turned 20 Monday, when the tranny went out) and I just can't let it go for the prices the dealers offered. If I rebuild it, it still has many more miles left in it. Too many good times with that truck, and more left ahead of us now. Gonna keep it through the winter, and hopefully by March, I will be truck shopping again, and won't have to use my 99 as Trade in, and rather keep it as a backup vehicle / ongoing project.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:42 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

That's the spirit!

We all gotta keep our old Dodges on the road. Gonna be collector pieces one day.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:39 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The white truck is prettier anyway...

And DD is right, these will be collector pieces one day........at the junk yard.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by stewie01
The white truck is prettier anyway...

And DD is right, these will be collector pieces one day........at the junk yard.
Notice how there aren't any at the junk yards in most places? lol

Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Good choice rebuilding the trans in your current truck. Seems crazy to me to spend $9500 on something with 9000 less miles than your current truck- especially with no history on it.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Yeah and shop around. I had my tranny rebuilt for $980. If you keep what you git and keep fixing it then at least you know what youve got and what your working with instead of a new vehicle with unknowns and mystery issues.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Good choice padawan.

Here's my old man advice:

Avoid more debt at all costs. The easiest thing to do is get sucked into more of it. I was able to pay all debt (college, credit cards, truck) before I turned 30 and life is so much simpler now. If I don't have the cash, I don't buy it. Granted, I have enough savings to completely replace my truck if I had to. Live within your means now and someday you can enjoy more 'toys'. Patience in life is something that is lost on current generations. Did you know that credit cards are a recent invention? My grandparents never had a single one. You can thank Sears for them. Now everybody "has" to have four of them.

When I learned the dishonesty first hand of the credit business, I vowed to pay everything off and did. The stupid bank couldn't even figure out what I was trying to do when I paid off my truck early (back in 2005). I lived cheap and saved money and was able to pay my way through grad school. I may not have a big house or a big new truck but I owe NOTHING to ANYONE.

What's the cheapest alternative? Paying off a $1k trans job on a truck you know and love or paying off a $10k used truck that will have the same issues down the road? You made the right choice. Besides, everyone knows the trans will go on these trucks eventually so having it go should not have shocked you (I hope it didn't.)

On the other hand, I totally get where you are coming from. It is so easy nowadays to simply throw stuff away when there's an issue. I see it all the time "well the front door handle broke so we just bought a new house instead" mentality. And we wonder why the country is F#$%^d???

I bought my first car (1990 grand prix) cash from summer jobs and I loved it. Worked great and had a new tranny. Then I saw a newer version (1994) and HAD to have it. Well, took out my first loan and got it. Less than two years later, the trans started to act up. I decided then to find a good truck with a reliable drivetrain and a stick. This is the truck I still have and I cannot imagine it not in my life (yeah, it's kinda creepy). It has been the best purchase in my life and seems to be getting better and better at 158k. Did you know new trucks are going for as much as $57k and over $60k for a diesel???? Are they insane? But guess what, they are getting sold left and right. I know a guy who drives a new F250 loaded with powerchoke and he needed to get a 12 year loan to afford payments. TWELVE YEAR LOAN!!! If you want to know how to acquire wealth, look at two examples: Sam Walton (founder of Walmart) and Warren Buffet (most successful investor ever) and look how they live(d). THAT is wisdom right there.

Good luck with your truck repair. You will always enjoy your truck and we can help you keep it running.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

^Spot on advice.

That is all.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 PM
stonecountykid

Ramman18 that is some great advice. Wish I could say that I have been so wise. I think it's great that you have decided to fix your truck. I bought myself a nice '99 Ram about six weeks ago and I am loving it. Great truck. I bought with the intention of keeping it up and driving it for years to come. These trucks are really nice and we need to keep them on the road. My 2 cents.

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The end of the road....