2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The end of the road....

Old 09-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The end of the road....

Well, My Ram was loyal for 4 and a half years. It's never left me walking, but it's time to put her down. Sadly, she's only at 136,000 miles. Transmission went out on me early this morning (what a terrific birthday gift btw). It had been slipping quite a bit recently, and hasn't been shifting down to first. It would just stay in second. Trans fluid was full and still looked good, not burnt or anything. Last night, I lost overdrive, first, and then the trans temp light came on, and you can smell it something fierce. I just can't see myself sinking $1,500 or more for a rebuild when the trucks needs more work than just the tranny, and I can't seem to find a good used transmission anywhere. Went and looked at an 08 Ram QCSB 4x4 Hemi today, and got approved for it. Found a nice 04 Ram QCSB 4x4 Sport Hemi for $9,000 Cheaper and only 40,000 more miles that I'm going to look at tomorrow. Will probably just use my truck as trade in and get what I can for her. It's been a good run, It was my first vehicle, and I know I'm probably gonna cry when I sign it over, but It's time to move on I think.

I might change my mind by the end of the week and rebuild it. Part of me isn't going to be able to let it go. Will keep this updated troughout the week until I know for sure the fate of my Ram.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:49 AM
getdown78
Veteran

I know where a 95 4x4 auto is or was about 3 weeks ago but i can call and see ? I bought the 5.2 motor he had and he said the trans worked good ? I will call tomarrow and see ? Send me a PM !

Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Won't work..

Shame to hear about the trans. you know you'll regret it later on.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 AM
getdown78
Veteran

Damn ! Just trying to help a guy out !

Old 09-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Have fun with the hemi tick, replacing 16 plugs every 30k, weak front end, same trans issues, rear ends that blow from c-clip breaking, HVAC issues galore with plastic blend doors and actuators, oh and the same cracking dash issues!

Best of luck, lol.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 AM
getdown78
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Have fun with the hemi tick, replacing 16 plugs every 30k, weak front end, same trans issues, rear ends that blow from c-clip breaking, HVAC issues galore with plastic blend doors and actuators, oh and the same cracking dash issues!

Best of luck, lol.
Yea its cheaper for me to fix my old truck then pay a big payment every month not including the higher insurance !

Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 46RE I don't need. Too bad you live so far away

Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18

Best of luck, lol.
D@mn...kick a guy while he's down... at least he's staying with Dodge, unlike some other people who jumped ship when their Ram's **** the bed....

Old 09-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Mopar Mike
Well, My Ram was loyal for 4 and a half years. It's never left me walking, but it's time to put her down. Sadly, she's only at 136,000 miles. Transmission went out on me early this morning (what a terrific birthday gift btw). It had been slipping quite a bit recently, and hasn't been shifting down to first. It would just stay in second. Trans fluid was full and still looked good, not burnt or anything. Last night, I lost overdrive, first, and then the trans temp light came on, and you can smell it something fierce. I just can't see myself sinking $1,500 or more for a rebuild when the trucks needs more work than just the tranny, and I can't seem to find a good used transmission anywhere. Went and looked at an 08 Ram QCSB 4x4 Hemi today, and got approved for it. Found a nice 04 Ram QCSB 4x4 Sport Hemi for $9,000 Cheaper and only 40,000 more miles that I'm going to look at tomorrow. Will probably just use my truck as trade in and get what I can for her. It's been a good run, It was my first vehicle, and I know I'm probably gonna cry when I sign it over, but It's time to move on I think.

I might change my mind by the end of the week and rebuild it. Part of me isn't going to be able to let it go. Will keep this updated troughout the week until I know for sure the fate of my Ram.
136K is low miles. I had my transmission rebuilt for $1,800 (including some serious upgrades) and put 36,000 on that until the truck was pummeled by tornado debris.

Unless there is serious body rot, it seems your decision is a bit rash if you view the transmission rebuild to be like buying a solid truck for $1,800.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Vdub serious post sighting!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The end of the road....