2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Should I go with a gas or an alcohol engine? I want to get great acceleration and pow

Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 AM
esmiller73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I go with a gas or an alcohol engine? I want to get great acceleration and pow

My build is a dodge ram 1500 4x4 and I'm turning it into my mud truck/monster truck but I also like to use it as a rock crawler sometimes. Any who I'm looking at 2 engines right now but FIRST before I change everything else to fit those engines. As I realize these engines on stock will kill my truck. I AM ALREADY LOOKING at a couple of NEW TRANSMISSIONS that will fit these engines and I'm getting Rockwell F106s with a 5.13 ratio in each. I also am running tires as big as me, 66x43-25s so ITS A MONSTER TRUCK. But I digress I'm looking at the 560 blown on alcohol Merlin engine and I'm looking at the 604 hemi blown supercharged engine. Which will give me more horsepower? The hemi is bigger and duh it's a friggin hemi and it's all aluminum, but the 560 is what monster jam uses plus it's a Merlin also a very credible maker. It runs on alcohol so that means I will have more power and no gunk will be in my engine I only wish Merlin made a 604. What do you guys think I should get? I'm just about saved up on money so that's not an issue because these engines are 50k new. Oh and my experience with Diesel engines is that they don't have as much horsepower but a lot more torque and if both a gas and a diesel have the same the same amount of displacement THE GAS POWERED ONE HAS MORE HORSEPOWER but the diesel has more torque.

604 Blown Aluminum Hemi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWAe1wPgl8Q

540 Merlin blown on alcohol all aluminum block
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiMbmRtSICk

Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 AM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think you could get 5.13's for 106's and besides that is kind of shallow for that kind of tire. Any engine is not going to feel real powerful with that kind of tire and gear ratio. What are the transmissions you are looking at and t case?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why dont you want a cummins? you could build the crap out of one for way less than 50k and have more money to do other stuff

Old 10-14-2013, 11:30 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

^Because the Cummins doesn't have the top end power do blast through mud like a gasser does.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge_dude94
^Because the Cummins doesn't have the top end power do blast through mud like a gasser does.
what rock have you been living under?!

apparently you have never seen the big diesel boys drag racing or sled pulling....

you think a 2,000hp 6.4L diesel can't blast through mud?!

hell even @ 1000hp any gas motor would be hard pressed to try and keep up...

think my truck would bog down in a little mud? you got a lot to learn about turbocharged engines.... the more load you put on them, the sooner the power comes in. you don't have to rev a diesel high to make ridiculous amounts of power...I can make my full amount of torque under 2000rpm if I load that motor up... more load = more spool = more boost= more power!

as for displacement vs hp:

my engine is a rather weak example compared to whats out there, but it's one I personally built with a very limited injection pump...

5.9L 359CI producing 576hp 1285lbs/ft tq @ rear wheels. rough translation = 600hp 1300lbs/ft tq @ flywheel.

btw if I got a redline fueling box or an adrenaline 4k box, I could rev to 4000rpm safely. my valvetrain is upgraded enough to handle it If I went to titanium retainers and keepers, added an upgraded fluidamper, and swapped to a p7100 with a 5k gsk I could rev to 5k!

oh yeah, no special fuels either...

just #2 diesel with 128:1 mix of 2-cycle oil. damn cheap compared to race fuel...

could easily bump my power up and get rid of the smoke with nitrous

Last edited by Jigabop; 10-14-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop
what rock have you been living under?!

apparently you have never seen the big diesel boys drag racing or sled pulling....

you think a 2,000hp 6.4L diesel can't blast through mud?!

hell even @ 1000hp any gas motor would be hard pressed to try and keep up...

think my truck would bog down in a little mud? you got a lot to learn about turbocharged engines.... the more load you put on them, the sooner the power comes in. you don't have to rev a diesel high to make ridiculous amounts of power...I can make my full amount of torque under 2000rpm if I load that motor up... more load = more spool = more boost= more power!

as for displacement vs hp:

my engine is a rather weak example compared to whats out there, but it's one I personally built with a very limited injection pump...

5.9L 359CI producing 576hp 1285lbs/ft tq @ rear wheels. rough translation = 600hp 1300lbs/ft tq @ flywheel.

btw if I got a redline fueling box or an adrenaline 4k box, I could rev to 4000rpm safely. my valvetrain is upgraded enough to handle it If I went to titanium retainers and keepers, added an upgraded fluidamper, and swapped to a p7100 with a 5k gsk I could rev to 5k!

oh yeah, no special fuels either...

just #2 diesel with 128:1 mix of 2-cycle oil. damn cheap compared to race fuel...

could easily bump my power up and get rid of the smoke with nitrous
See this. This makes much more sense then buying a pre assemblied racing block for a whole bunch of money

Old 10-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Jigabop
Champion

hell I could buy an entire common rail cummins truck, do the supporting mods and build up the engine to produce 1000+hp for cheaper than he wants to buy just an engine for...

not to mention the cummins will last a LOT longer and be cheaper to operate.

and turning big tires?! who needs those huge *** gears when you have ridiculous amounts of torque!?!

hell you could build up a 6.7L and get the displacement to go along with it for quicker turbo spooling and still come out cheaper buying a whole damn truck

Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 AM
esmiller73

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
I didn't think you could get 5.13's for 106's and besides that is kind of shallow for that kind of tire. Any engine is not going to feel real powerful with that kind of tire and gear ratio. What are the transmissions you are looking at and t case?

I'm looking at maybe a turbo 400 Transmission and definitely going to get a SCS Transfer case. Well I might change my mind about the gear ratio, which one do you think is best?

Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM
esmiller73

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
why dont you want a cummins? you could build the crap out of one for way less than 50k and have more money to do other stuff
Because like dodge dude 94 said the cummins has nothing on a blown hemi and everything else I'm putting on that will give me 2000 hp like yours, will still kick *** any day of the week. Plus money is not an issue.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Jigabop
Champion

that's 40,000lbs on a huge plow blade trying it bury itself in the dirt and that truck is yanking it over 300ft.

9 second 1/4 mile in a full size 4x4 truck

his rear end wasn't aligned properly hense the pulling to one side burnout and the crooked launch, but diesels can do wheel stands too! and this one is just 1000hp...

I know your mind is set already....just to show that diesels can make some wicked power...

btw you might check out nelson racing engines for your race gasser....

they make some 2000hp twin turbo big blocks that can be dialed back electronically to 1000hp for street use...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I go with a gas or an alcohol engine? I want to get great acceleration and pow