2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Seafoam...yeah I know

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Dieselweasle
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started using it on my vehicles about 4 years ago, not religiously, but before big trips or when I first get them(always buy Used for the time being) and out of all of them, I have seen some sort of increase in performance, whether it's throttle response, MPG, or even just the idle. It's a cleaner and I like it. Haven't had a single issue with using it on Pontiacs, Fords or the new to me Dodge. Some of the increases were very minimal, but the most drastic was in the Ford, where I was able to start getting 22MPG on the highway, from starting off with 16-17 tops.

It all comes down to how the user actually used the seafoam, not how he says they did and condition of the vehicle it's being used on. I guess my vehicles were in need of some type of cleansing to be able to see any gains.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:08 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold seafoam nearly every day in 3 years working at advance...never heard any reported problems although I do believe most people were running it in their gas. Putting it in the vacuum line is something different entirely, although I've done both on my truck. I've even poured some in the crankcase before an oil change. (not in my truck but in my old jeep) Never any negative effects although I'm not sure if there was any positive changes either. It def depends on the condition of the engine and the overall maintenance the car received throughout it's life. I'm def not nervous about using it, although I can see how putting it in engine oil can be a bad idea.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sniper dave
Well Gary I'm sorry my use of the term "tune up" aggravated you. From this point forward, I will not take any shortcuts and describe every last detail. Such as, no longer will I be doing yard work-it has now become cutting the grass, bagging the grass, weed wacking, hedge trimming, edging, raking leaves, tarping leaves, movement of leaves from point of pile to final location for nature to take its course. Because I have nothing better to do than ensure my thread is properly dictated to your satisfaction.

But thank you for being such a positive contributor to this thread by not even answering the original question posed, but having the time and effort to "correct" me.

Unreal.
This post made me

I've only used Seafoam on small engines, not my truck. I just don't feel that it needs it, but I wouldn't stop someone from using it on their own vehicle. My Dad uses it religiously in his Jeep and hasn't had any issues.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used it once. Not sure how much impact it had.

I would almost buy it just to drive through town leaving a giant cloud of white smoke everywhere

Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say nay. If you don't need it don't do it. Leave it for the marine guys.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 PM
4.7gashog

I use it with no problems. Most of the time just pour in the gas tank to help clean injectors. Every once in a while I'll pour about 1/4 can into the the vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster while the truck is at idle. I've read that this cleans carbon off the piston heads and cylinders. Last time I did this it actually cleared a check engine light. Years ago I put seafoam in the gastank of my motorcycle and it would run like a raped ape. I believe in it and will continue to use this great product.

Last edited by 4.7gashog; 01-17-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.7gashog
I use it with no problems. Most of the time just pour in the gas tank to help clean injectors. Every once in a while I'll pour about 1/4 can into the the vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster while the truck is at idle. I've read that this cleans carbon off the piston heads and cylinders. Last time I did this it actually cleared a check engine light. Years ago I put seafoam in the gastank of my motorcycle and it would run like a raped date. I believe in it and will continue to use this great product.
Really could you not think of better words to describe this!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

I've used Seafoam in my Ram right when it hit 100k miles. It seemed to gain a little more throttle response, but that's about it. I poured 1/3rd can in the gas, 1/3rd in the vacuum line, and 1/3rd in the crankcase. No negative effects. My brother used to work at O'Reilly's and he says it sold like crazy, he swears by it as well. I've never heard of anyone having negative effects.

Last edited by Mopar Mike; 01-17-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:34 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Really could you not think of better words to describe this!!!!!!
Generally the expression is "raped ape".....

Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm also a little curious about seafoam as well. If putting it in the gas tank how much should be used and how full should my tank be? And should I let it idle or actually drive it around? (just really don't wanna screw anything up as I'm still in high school and dad isn't always easy to deal with lol)