2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

here is a question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:18 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default here is a question.

about 2 weeks ago my truck was in the shop for both hub assemblies, driver side u joint and the trac bar. it now needs an alignment which was somewhat expected. but last night i got under it to take a look and clean up some stuff. i see gear oil on the housing of the driver side axel. clean it all up and watch it for a minute. here is a picture after i cleaned it up
http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/...jpg?t=13980165
today im walking out of work and see this next to my tire -_-
http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1398016575
i get under it and take a picture. than the last one is a closer shot.
http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1398016657
http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1398016677
so the seal is busted. when my mech took the axel out to change the u joint he busted the seal. i should only have to pay for seal and nothing else right?

Old 04-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's the mechs fault I wouldn't pay for crap. Seal was fine and he busted it. He should pay for it to fix it I domt care if it's a five dollar part or not .

Never mind shop time. That's a giver freebie

Old 04-20-2014, 08:29 PM
topkin
Veteran

Originally Posted by BrandonBuc'em
when my mech took the axel out to change the u joint he busted the seal. i should only have to pay for seal and nothing else right?
That sucks, but it's very easy to do if your not carfull re installing the axle shaft.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:48 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

i just went an looked at it, its leaking pretty good. i called my mech this morning. waiting for a call back.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:05 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

just got off the phone with him, said its an old seal and that its not his fault the seal busted. said he knows how to put an axel back in without busting the seal. said however he would work with me and only charge me for the hours he put into changing that seal and not what the book says. hes got be by the ***** because i cant just take it somewhere else and have them change it for free, they didnt bust it. he did! im just like ****in pissed man. excuse my language

Old 04-21-2014, 02:22 PM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya. Your screwed. But had you paid for new seals at the time it was apart you wouldn't have a problem.
You wouldn't pull an automatic transmission and reinstall it without swapping in new front seal would you?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that before your mech. pulled the axles, the seals werent leaking.... but in all honesty, there may not have been anything he could have done about it. If your seals were never replaced before, even carefully pulling out the axle and re-installing is enough to ruin them. Think about it...those seals in there are 17 years old assuming they're original. Not saying that it's not his fault, but I can see why he would be arguing about it....those seals are incredibly fragile things, especially when they're so old!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

i get it, the seals bond to the axel and when you disrupt that bond it creates a leak. i just wish i woulda thought of that at the time. damn

Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im 90 percent sure the seals in my dana 60s are original and they have some good mileage on them.

Sometimes it just depends on how lucky you are that day.

You gotta get them done though. If you dont and run it out of oil you will blow your diff up.

I have a Dana 44 for sale if that happens though

lBut yea dont blow it up lol

Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

im waiting for a call back. its not running dry.
last week was the first time i put it in 4x4 and i didnt notice it leaking before that. maybe that had something to do with it. either way, its blown and ill get it done.

Quick Reply: here is a question.