2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2014 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:19 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Ummmm, that's not moonshine then........
It's still shine, just a toned down legal version.

Last edited by stewie01; 11-28-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

You can buy junior johnsons moonshine in a mason jar all day here in nc.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:23 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You can buy junior johnsons moonshine in a mason jar all day here in nc.
I don't remember which brand I bought, but the name sounds familiar...

Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
It's still shine, just a toned down legal version.
Fair enough.....

Old 11-28-2014, 10:11 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the old truck bug...For some of you who have owned old trucks(say 1970-80's) what are some of the problems with driving them year round? I figure being carbed and starting in the winter, but do they have bad heaters so the windows frost up or anything?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
I've got the old truck bug...For some of you who have owned old trucks(say 1970-80's) what are some of the problems with driving them year round? I figure being carbed and starting in the winter, but do they have bad heaters so the windows frost up or anything?
Stuff leaking all over the place

A well tuned carb will start just as well as fuel injection.

You do live up in bum **** it's cold as ***** land though

Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
Sounds fishy.

All of that sounds like he was too close.

If you're the appropriate distance, or more, behind a vehicle, especially on snow covered roads, a vehicle in front of you wouldn't require you to slam your brakes.

Case in point, several years ago we were driving up I77N to Virginia from Georgia for Christmas, roads were clear and dry, traffic was thick, a van in front of us and a car in front of them, van got brake checked and my pop in law who was driving was too close and had to hit his brakes, we slammed into the back of that van.

Had he not be too close he would of had to time slow down...
When you're driving 70 MPH in a 9,000lb truck, and plenty of room in front of you but you are following a brand new Mustang and they decide to brake check you, your brakes are working well, and they lock up. At 70MPH the RABS doesn't have a chance to act. Then you go into a skid.

I wasn't following to close. Had the Mustang slowed down normally, even a little agressively, I would have been able to stop. But being a sports car they can stop so agressively that no matter if I am following the correct distance or not, I can't stop fast enough.

No I was not following to close, and I was not distracted. I still have no clue why the farking idiot brake checked me; had I been over 21 (insurance reasons) I probably would have just run right into him instead of skidding out of control for a few seconds. But so far I have an accident free record, considering I'm young and most of my miles have been with loaded trailers. I've had a few close calls and that's where I hope it stays right now.

My point; even at correct distances, when you're driving a truck, things change a bit if some itty bitty car stops suddenly.

A carb will start up just as well as a fuel injected engine if it is properly adjusted and maintained.

If you have problems with frosted/fogged windows Rain X sells a anti-fog stuff for windows and it works well (frost is basically frozen fog, or whatever you want to call it/explain it as).

Old 11-29-2014, 03:30 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
His brakes locked up and he started sliding. Instead of hitting the other vehicle he opted for the ditch.
If he had traction to steer but not to stop he was following too closely, and if he refuses to own his mistake he won't learn from it.

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
But being a sports car they can stop so agressively that no matter if I am following the correct distance or not, I can't stop fast enough.
Horse manure. If you've not got separation enough to react safely, you're following too closely.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:08 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Completely strip the interior and and doors and insulate using Dynamat, Second Skin, or type of insulating material. As far as carburetion and winter starting, do what my dad did with his Nash in the 1950s -- he pulled the carburetor and stuck it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Once it was completely chilled, he adjusted the choke and reinstalled it on the engine. No problems with winter starting. Just remember when starting a carb'd vehicle to pump the accelerator pedal twice before starting the vehicle *unless* you replace the manual fuel pump with an electric style pump.

The only vehicles that have "bad heaters" per se, would be something earlier than the 1950s. Other than that, your post makes me laugh. Your post seems to equate vehicles from the 70s and 80s with vehicles from the 1920s.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
When you're driving 70 MPH in a 9,000lb truck, and plenty of room in front of you but you are following a brand new Mustang and they decide to brake check you, your brakes are working well, and they lock up. At 70MPH the RABS doesn't have a chance to act. Then you go into a skid.

I wasn't following to close. Had the Mustang slowed down normally, even a little agressively, I would have been able to stop. But being a sports car they can stop so agressively that no matter if I am following the correct distance or not, I can't stop fast enough.

No I was not following to close, and I was not distracted. I still have no clue why the farking idiot brake checked me; had I been over 21 (insurance reasons) I probably would have just run right into him instead of skidding out of control for a few seconds. But so far I have an accident free record, considering I'm young and most of my miles have been with loaded trailers. I've had a few close calls and that's where I hope it stays right now.

My point; even at correct distances, when you're driving a truck, things change a bit if some itty bitty car stops suddenly.
When did you move to the east coast? And when did you put $15K into the Ford?

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread