2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
View Poll Results: Would you download this app?
Yes
62.50%
No
0%
Mehhhh
12.50%
I dont not have android or iOS
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

A 2nd gen app?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:23 PM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 2nd gen app?

So I would appreciate a little input from you guys. As I was walking on a 5 mile trail down a mountain today I got to thinking about my truck. Actually who are we kidding, Im always thinking about my truck! You can ask my ex girlfriends, they will confirm! Anyway, I got to thinking that I could (with knowledge help) be able to put together an app that can help with simple solutions to issues on our trucks. Something like a screen for "what symptom are you having" and then possible fixes that might help. Along with the service manuals included as well. This app would run primarily on android, however; if I saw enough need I could also try to port it on over to iOS. So a few things would need to be decided to go with this app. I would first need help on specific "symptoms" to focus on. Then I would need a lot of knowledge from you guys to help me put together some of the common fixes for each symptom. So #1 would anyone be willing to help? #2 Would anyone download this?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Then you would not need DF anymore.......you would be essentially killing the 2nd gen Ram section......

Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I don't do android.... but, one of the problems I can see would be, there are MANY possible causes for the same symptom. So, something like "miss on cylinder 3", would have MANY answers. (suppose you could list them as a string of things to check, ordered by priority.....) I think, perhaps, the easiest way would be to provide a list of possible symptoms, and use that to narrow possible causes. The more symptoms you can list, the higher the likelihood that you can come up with the 'correct' fix.

That would be a hell of a flow chart. My guess would be, that if combined with some 'code reading' app as well, you would have a real winner on your hands.

I would be willing to contribute some knowledge. However, I have no clue about programming any more. (My last programming experience, aside from linux scripts, was RPG II......)

Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Then you would not need DF anymore.......you would be essentially killing the 2nd gen Ram section......

Well nothing too complicated. But it might be useful. Especially if I see a few more "clogged cat" threads in the next week

Old 07-08-2014, 06:47 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't do android.... but, one of the problems I can see would be, there are MANY possible causes for the same symptom. So, something like "miss on cylinder 3", would have MANY answers. (suppose you could list them as a string of things to check, ordered by priority.....) I think, perhaps, the easiest way would be to provide a list of possible symptoms, and use that to narrow possible causes. The more symptoms you can list, the higher the likelihood that you can come up with the 'correct' fix.

That would be a hell of a flow chart. My guess would be, that if combined with some 'code reading' app as well, you would have a real winner on your hands.

I would be willing to contribute some knowledge. However, I have no clue about programming any more. (My last programming experience, aside from linux scripts, was RPG II......)
That was my thought exactly HeyYou, if you were to say a misfire for #3 along with 2 other symptoms or any number. It would allow for a more prioritize list.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

That would be cool. Are you thinking about programming something using Eclipse and the Android SDK? Or are you thinking about using Xamarin to program in C#/VB and compile it into the Android and iOS languages? The Xamarin might be the easy route to go.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
That would be cool. Are you thinking about programming something using Eclipse and the Android SDK? Or are you thinking about using Xamarin to program in C#/VB and compile it into the Android and iOS languages? The Xamarin might be the easy route to go.
I was going to go the android sdk route. I personally dislike both c# and vb. Actually I dislike java as well, but I have a lot of experience with it. If I decided to port this over to iOS it would take a little more effort.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djbucky3
So I would appreciate a little input from you guys. As I was walking on a 5 mile trail down a mountain today I got to thinking about my truck. Actually who are we kidding, Im always thinking about my truck! You can ask my ex girlfriends, they will confirm! Anyway, I got to thinking that I could (with knowledge help) be able to put together an app that can help with simple solutions to issues on our trucks. Something like a screen for "what symptom are you having" and then possible fixes that might help. Along with the service manuals included as well. This app would run primarily on android, however; if I saw enough need I could also try to port it on over to iOS. So a few things would need to be decided to go with this app. I would first need help on specific "symptoms" to focus on. Then I would need a lot of knowledge from you guys to help me put together some of the common fixes for each symptom. So #1 would anyone be willing to help? #2 Would anyone download this?
Sorry, but I find thinking about **CENSORED** women a much better use of free time than thinking about a truck.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by djbucky3
I was going to go the android sdk route. I personally dislike both c# and vb. Actually I dislike java as well, but I have a lot of experience with it. If I decided to port this over to iOS it would take a little more effort.
Ok, that makes sense. I'm just curious, what do you have against C# and Java? Do you not like the syntax?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Ok, that makes sense. I'm just curious, what do you have against C# and Java? Do you not like the syntax?
C# is useful for one thing only, developing for apple products, therefore I avoid at all costs. I have an sdk, dragonfire sdk, that allows me to develop for iOS via c++, so that works for me! As for java, don't get me started. I miss all the abilities that are in c++ but not in an interpreted language.