2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM
WAfrican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea so he looked at the model number again and they're for the LA motor so no luck with these. By a ton of other mods what would it take before lt's are better? So far what I have planned in the future include roller rockers, trans go shift kit, hemi fever tune, 4.56 gears, and a few other things.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

headers go nicely with intake side mods. Roller rockers being on the list.... along with better intake manifold, cam change... things of that nature. A lot depends on the primary tube size of the headers, for low end grunt, smaller is better. I think 1.5 would be really nice, but, in order to get headers that size for our trucks these days, you gotta spend north of 600 bucks for the headers. I think the Pacesetters (the most reasonably priced headers for our trucks....) are 1 5/8ths, which is a tad bit large, but, does indeed help. The better scavenging you get with headers mostly makes up for any low end loss.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:23 PM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got LA 360 Long tube Doug Thorley's hanging on the wall. Wish they'd fit my Dakota. Magnum 318. I can probably get you measurements if it would help you.
I've looked at them before and they look like they'd fit the Magnum heads.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I think they will physically bolt to the heads, but, the motor mounts moved from the LA, to the magnum engines.... I do believe that is where the problems come in.

If you were feeling particularly brave, (masochistic?) you could 'test fit' one?

Old 05-08-2014, 06:59 AM
RDuck
Captain

I'll line one up to the engine when I leave for work in ten minutes. I've a Magnum on a pallet and the Thorley's are right there.
Can only get one side though as I dont have time to be pulling manifolds or pull the engine away from the wall to look.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 AM
RDuck
Captain

Text again after I hit the hwy. Lol.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 AM
RDuck
Captain

Physically bolts to the head.
Left header has definite interference with engine mount
Second pipe needs to move. Comes straight down as does third. Possible modifications can be made but why.
Shorty headers can be purchased for around $250 that bolt on.

Quick Reply: Shorties