2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Opinions on Duralast products?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:54 AM
95_dodgeram1500_5.2
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Duralast products?

I replaced my cap, rotor, and wires with duralast and my plugs with ac delco, I was wondering what everybodys opinions was on duralast products from auto zone, I've always liked them. When I had my ranger I had to go to o'reilly's because there was the only ones that always has my parts in stock everytime, now with my dodge I go to either one.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Personally i just dont use em. Never been a fan, seems to me other brands just work better. my .02

Old 08-01-2014, 02:39 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used a bunch of them, but not a fan of them. Seems like I have to replace them every year. This is on my car, not the truck. My next car will not have duralast parts on it, but better quality stuff.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Duralast isn't that bad, but isn't that good either. Most parts work just fine. I use them if I have to, BUT I will NOT use any Duralast electrical part. Every time I have it's been garbage, whether it's an alternator, starter, plug wires, etc.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Around here, they are referred to as "Duracrap", and for good reason. I won't use their products, as, quite frankly, they suck. Sure, they are cheap, but, the old adage "you get what you pay for" most certainly applies. I learned my lesson on their distributor caps.... I went thru three in about as many weeks on my firebird... the center contact would break, and the car would simply stop running. After the third one, I bought a nice Accel cap, and never had another problem.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Duralast water pump in the truck, no issues what so ever, over 3 years old.

I've used Duralast ball joints, had no issues with them, the shop didn't like the "movement" in the lower, of course he also had a 4' rod with all of his weight trying to get them to move.

HeyYou is right, generally do you get what you pay for, but we've also seen a member with an XRF trackbar? with catastrophic failure.

I'd buy Duralast again, until I'm given a real reason not to.

Last edited by stewie01; 08-01-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Around here, they are referred to as "Duracrap", and for good reason. I won't use their products, as, quite frankly, they suck. Sure, they are cheap, but, the old adage "you get what you pay for" most certainly applies. I learned my lesson on their distributor caps.... I went thru three in about as many weeks on my firebird... the center contact would break, and the car would simply stop running. After the third one, I bought a nice Accel cap, and never had another problem.
Electrical parts

Old 08-01-2014, 10:09 PM
topkin
Veteran

I have had duralast front brake pads on for about a year now in mountain driving. Had the wheels off to do the u-joint yesterday, the bads looked good and had even wear... I prefer other brands when it comes to tune up stuff.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duralast parts are and economy grade part made to work any get you by. But if you want parts that are going to last, you want service grade parts that are made considerably better and to a higher quality standard. I have used Duralast parts in the past when I had to, but they are in no way my first choice ever.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:58 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually buy all my parts online, but if I do go to an Auto store I avoid their private labels if I can. AutoZone is my closest auto store so I usually go to them. The only Duralast product I have from them I believe is brakes because of the lifetime warranty. Never had a problem, but I would never buy a serious part from their Duralast brand.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Duralast products?