2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

another title question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:48 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another title question

So need ideas I have this nice old lady down the rd from me & she has thellll newer body style dodge ram there was the hemi which had the 3rd gen bodystyle that year the cummins had the 2nd gen body . I'm sure most of you know this . Anyways the truck looks brand new has 32 thousand miles on it 4 door 4 wheel drive.Here's the issue there's no title.
Basically she bought it for her grandson who in turn you didn't want it because she didn't buy a Cummins (spoiled ungreatful punk)She turned around and bought him a cummins but let this one sit.
Ive known her for about 30 years she asked me If I would be interested in the truck without the title as she lost it years ago& never put it in her name.Tryd contacting the fella who sold it to em found out he died so they've been using it around town when it snows . It's a really nice truck and it would be a shame to part it out I can't seem to find a cab with a good title. I mean what she wants me to do to receive the truck it's almost like giving it to me for free and it would be nice to have an extra truck. Ran the vin its clean.Part of me Thinks I should just get it insured and slap my plates on it off of my Cummins but that's kind of unrealistic does anybody have any ideas?I'm getting the truck . I'm thinking I'm just going to have my eyes peeled for a similar truck with a blown motor that I can get cheap.My neighbor got a Duramax same situation changed the cab & he's been driving it like that for 2 years I know it's a slippery slope any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Please excuse any typos or terseness: this email was sent from my mobile and I have clumsy fingers

Old 01-14-2015, 07:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

DMV should be able to get a duplicate title. I'd check with the DMV first.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Get a bill of sale from the lady, take it to the DMV, get a title.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
she has thellll newer body style dodge ram there was the hemi which had the 3rd gen bodystyle that year the cummins had the 2nd gen body.
Are you saying it is a 2002 1500? The year you are referring to is 2002 when the 1500 got 3rd gen and HDs got 2nd gens.

Just fyi, in 2002, the Hemi was not available. The 1500s had the new body style with 5.9 magnum, 4.7 magnum, and the 3.7 V6. The Hemi was introduced in 2003 when both 2500s and 3500s received new body. Dodge used up the 5.9s through 03 as well as the V10s. About broke my neck one day when I saw a 3rd gen V10 3500. Rare!

Old 01-14-2015, 06:28 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by jkeaton
DMV should be able to get a duplicate title. I'd check with the DMV first.
Mo doesn't take b.o.s.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:29 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Are you saying it is a 2002 1500? The year you are referring to is 2002 when the 1500 got 3rd gen and HDs got 2nd gens.

Just fyi, in 2002, the Hemi was not available. The 1500s had the new body style with 5.9 magnum, 4.7 magnum, and the 3.7 V6. The Hemi was introduced in 2003 when both 2500s and 3500s received new body. Dodge used up the 5.9s through 03 as well as the V10s. About broke my neck one day when I saw a 3rd gen V10 3500. Rare!
Maybe its the 4.7

Old 01-29-2015, 05:02 AM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

Missouri is a royal PITA when it comes to titling and registering vehicles. I bought and sold 9 vehicles last year, and there's been an issue 6 of the 9 times (just on the buying end, only once on the selling and it was the buyers fault thank God).

If you bring in a Bill of Sale by itself, you will not be able to get a title. Especially if the vehicle was never in the name of the lady who you are getting the truck from, even if she signs as the seller. The only hope you have is that the lady either finds the title, or she filled out the bottom portion of the title (Notice of sale/transfer) that the seller is supposed to tear off and send in to the Department of Revenue. Hopefully IF she filled that out, the previous owner sent it in.
Unfortunately, most of the time the seller doesn't even bother with that though. I still have one laying around from a GMC Denali I sold and I never mailed it off, all but 2 of vehicles I purchased last year the seller left the NOS/T on the title. BUT, If he did send it off, then there might be a chance that the lady can file for a lost title that way, but I wouldn't hold your breath, Missouri is strict.

Also, if she's had for years and never put it in her name, Then she probably never paid the sales tax on it either, so the title is going to have penalties on it. (late fees, potentially years of personal property tax that was never collected on it)

Let's just say best case scenario she finds the title, puts it in her name and she goes to sell it to you, or gift it whatever you guys decide, make sure there is a Bill of Sale to go with it. Missouri doesn't want you to have a bill of sale, because without it, they will make you pay the sales tax of the KBB value of the truck. The BoS will also have to be notarized otherwise it's worthless.... believe me.

Fun Fact: one of the vehicles I bought last year was a 96 Tahoe. I never planned on titling this vehicle in my name, as I bought it for parts below scrap value, with no intentions of registering it for highway use, but since the seller insisted I filled out the NOS/T and he sent it into the DOR. MO still wanted me to pay KBB value sales tax on it, not the purchase price. The state was also going to charge me late fees, the taxes alone were more than the purchase price before the fees.... I've still yet to pay anything on it and since I already scrapped it, I won't. Waiting to see if they just tack it onto my end of year state taxes.

Worst case scenario, which is what it's sounding like, It's still in the previous owners name. Since he's deceased it's pretty much a lost cause. You're going to have to go through that persons family. Hope and pray that they're honest, otherwise they could potentially take the truck back. My Uncle passed away and he didn't have a will. The whole family agreed to let me have his Chevy Impala. Long story short, the Lawyer who was the one in charge of the power of attorney signed in the seller box on the title, and Missouri threw a fit saying he wasn't an authorized seller, even though I presented the documentation showing he was appointed the head over the power of attorney. They wanted it to go through court etc. I told the lawyer about it and he just had me give him back the title. A week later the title was mailed back to me from Jeff City in my name.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:07 PM
jsmith1969
Professional

Can you not get a bonded title in Missouri? I did one here in Texas 7-8 years back on a k5 Blazer and while it took awhile I did end up getting a clear title with just a bill of sale. Iirc it cost me $400ish

Quick Reply: another title question