2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Limited slip rear end

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:40 PM
crosecrans
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited slip rear end

I had my differential opened up and checked. Found pieces of a metal clip off of the limited slip gears. Was told it would cost $1500 to $1800 to fix. I went to another shop for a second opinion and was told that I do not have to fix it unless I want too. That the differential will act like a normal diff without the limited slip. Can anyone verify this for me as I am not a mechanic.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:10 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 2nd opinion is correct. What was found are broken pieces of the outer shims or clips that retain the clutch pieces. Since the clips are gone, they do not provide any mechanical restraint on the clutch pack of the limited slip carrier. Therefore, it acts as open differential. Overtime more pieces may fall out and hopefully get caught by the magnet. Or they can be removed manually.

Cost to repair is definitely not that high. I recall a few people have redone their own here, but can't remember usernames or threads. Do a search or hopefully someone can recall better than me and mention. It depends on your mechanical ability though and I'd roughly quote the parts cost in the $200-300 range using yourself as the labor.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:14 AM
crosecrans

Thank you for the response. I would not try this as I am not mechanically inclined. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:27 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is probably cheaper to replace the whole unit than it is to restore it. That is what happened to me. It cost 1000 bucks...but my extended warranty covered it. I got a new Eaton posi unit.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 PM
crosecrans
Default Limited slip rear end

Thanks for the input. Lucky you to have the cost covered.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Look at this thread. It will give you a sense of what will be involved. It does cover a gear change, but aside from that you can see the tools and the time Oxymoron put into the effort.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...gear-swap.html

You being in Eugene should have some decent part yards and such. Check craigslist for Chrysler 9.25" rear axle. In the meantime, if you can let the truck sit for awhile, I'd drain the oil by pulling the cover and doing a visual inspection. Look it over, take pictures and feel free to post up here for help to identify things. You might be able to find a carrier local for cheap to swap in...or better yet, entire axle (assuming same ratio).

Old 06-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Well since you live in Eugene you're about 6 hours south of me. If you had a long weekend and wanted to make a road trip I'd be willing to rebuild your limited slip for you or install a new unit. I only have a couch to offer to crash on but the work would be free so all you're out is gas & parts.

If you want to replace it don't replace with another clutch type limited slip. Instead I would replace it with a Tru Trac which is a gear driven limited slip and you would never have to worry about replacing clutch packs ever again. But this all depends on how long you plan on keeping your truck.

I can also try and find you a shop in your area that might give you a little better repair price.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

^Boom! Look at that. Totally agree with that traction choice too. One word of caution....that guy can get ornery!!! hahahahahahaaha!!

Old 06-10-2015, 04:40 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Wh1t3Nukle, I got my 4.88s in! HA. Now I can tell people to go to 4.88s and to not "Fear the Gear" when they're wondering what gears to go to.

I waited for this day to come to say this. I remember you telling me to not recommend stuff to people that you don't have.

But I actually got the TrueTrac installed too. Love it. Recommend it if you want to spend the money on a LSD.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

^hahah. I saw that you are having some issues though. Quit romping on it and get some seat time.

crosecrans, just in case you didn't see this: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/user-cl...hing-bnib.html

Quick Reply: Limited slip rear end