2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

5.2 vacuum line on intake disconnected

Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 PM
jayz55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 vacuum line on intake disconnected

So, I'm going to try to explain all the quirky issues I'm having and see if anyone can help point me in the best direction.. Keep in mind, I know nothing about vacuum lines, other then the little I've red in the Haynes book, and researching the issue.. The vacuum line on my intake is disconnected. When I plug it in, the motor instantly bogs down and stalls. I do not have cruise control, other then the light on the dash working, and have whacky vent issues.. Now, the main reason I'm trying to fix this is to fix my ac, which hasn't worked since I bought it last 16 months ago. When I followed the line, it comes to an F connection, and then goes into the firewall.. It seemed as if there was a white grease coming out of the 90.. Im kinda leaning away from a leak, and figuring there's a blockage. So my thinking is it has to do with the vacuum heater control in the dashboard maybe being bad.. I also had a custom double din stereo installed last spring, so I don't know if I should pull all that out thinking a line may be pinched in back of the stereo.. Please help, it a heatwave, im a construction worker, and I'm dying! Lol also, the ac compressor doesn't engage, but manually, the pulley is free to spin by hand. Thanks in advanced, people on this site have always blew my mind with knowledge and problem solving abilities.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

You might be looking in the wrong place. Is the vacuum port you are plugging into just open? If so, I suspect you have an IAC problem, not a vacuum problem. (IAC is Idle air control) With a vacuum leak, the engine gets enough air to idle, plug that port, and it doesn't.... IAC is supposed to open up, to provide more air. I don't think yours is.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:02 AM
jayz55

That would make sense.. Is there a way to check n see, or is it cheap enough to just install a new one and see?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:16 AM
jayz55

Actually, I had replaced the Iac when I first got truck k and it died out of nowhere.. It was actually my pcm.. Any other ideas?

Old 08-01-2015, 11:57 AM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull that IAC and gently clean it and the throttle body, as long as you dont force on the priddle its only going to help, clean the hole where the IAC lives, and do yourself a huge favor and download the FSM for your truck, it will tell you everything.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:06 PM
jayz55

Not to sound dumb, but what's a fsm? And where can I download it?

Old 08-01-2015, 05:11 PM
jayz55

You guys were exactly right! That IAC that I installed last year was defective. I installed the old one I replaced and it works great. Trucks running alot better.. So I went n bought a can of refrigerant. After the first 18oz, it got cold for the first time in 18 months.. So I bought another one, and it took 3/4s of that one.. Absolutely freezing! And absolutely short lived as well!! It lasted an hour, and now, the compressor kicks on for about 7 seconds, and then kicks off for 7 seconds but not getting cold anymore.. Why would it cycle on and off like this?

Old 08-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jayz55
Not to sound dumb, but what's a fsm? And where can I download it?
Factory Service Manual

From the FAQ DIY section
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 08-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Frequently Asked Questions
Do It Yourself

Old 08-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

And absolutely short lived as well!! It lasted an hour, and now, the compressor kicks on for about 7 seconds, and then kicks off for 7 seconds but not getting cold anymore.. Why would it cycle on and off like this?
The high side pressure switch may be cutting out the compressor. Put a set of gauges on it and see what the pressures are. I am assuming you bought one of those bottles with the trigger on it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.2 vacuum line on intake disconnected