2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Brad91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas???

Hey everyone, I need some help. I'm trying to decide if it's worth my money or not to do some mods and if so what products I should go with. Here's what I've got planned for my Ram 2500 with the 8.0L V10.
-6in Suspension Lift
-3in Body Lift
-45in Tires
-Rockwell Military 2 ton Axles
-New Paint
-New Dash
-HID Headlights
-LED Tail Lights
-True Dual Exhaust
-K&N Snorkel Intake
-Throttle Body Spacer

If there's anything that I shouldn't waste my money on or if there's something else you think I should do let me know and I'll consider it. This truck is gonna be quite the project for me and it's going to be driven mainly off road in the mountains and mud but still needs to be street legal. Thanks again for any input.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Brad91

This is the truck that's getting all the toys.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Skip the throttle body spacer, it doesn't do anything for you. (aside from lighten your wallet.)

What is the end goal for the truck?

Old 11-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Brad91

Just trying to make it big and unstoppable off road. I wanna be able to drive through or over just about anything. I thought about putting a turbo in it but I'm not sure that would help much or even be good for it. I'm afraid of blowing the engine with the extra pressure.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

45" tires though? Them are gonna be HEAVY, not to mention expensive...... This isn't your daily driver is it?? (though I could see real advantages in large diameter tires in your winter weather. )

Old 11-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Brad91

It is my daily driver but I only drive half a mile to work and back. The only time I drive it anywhere else is when I go hunting or I take it mudding up in the mountains.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Brad91

Otherwise we drive my wife's car. Lol.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

on your stock axles, you could probably do 38" tires with no issues at all, or even go to 40", but, the front axle may tend to eat parts. (wheel bearings, balljoints, etc.) Upgrade the internals a bit, (hardened axles, better gearing, dump the unit bearings in front, and go with the rebuildable tapered bearings of the old days....) and some lockers..... and your truck would be pretty much unstoppable without doing any engine work at all. (the 8.0 liter has GOBS of torque.....) Unless you can get 2.5 ton axles dirt cheap, might be a less expensive alternative..... Aside from the fact that even with 9" of lift, you will still more than likely have to clearance your fenders, and add flares to fit the even larger tires. Turn radius will be huge as well. (even more so than normal....)

Not to mention down time while your new suspension is fabbed up for the rockwell axles........

Not a lot offered in the way of 'bolt on' performance parts for the 10...... Tuner should be the first order of business..... along with making sure all the existing parts are up to snuf. You could do cam, headers, bigger throttle body, and other things along those lines, but, changing the cam would require a custom tune.....

No matter which way ya go though, expect to spend some HUGE piles of cash.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Brad91

I figured it was gonna cost quite a bit. And that's okay. I'm not looking to do it all overnight. It's got 130,000 miles on it and it's still running strong so taking a couple of years to get it all done is okay with me. I didn't think you could use a tuner on a gas truck though? I've only ever seen them on diesels.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Of course you can. You are just uploading different programming to the PCM. It's flash memory, so, you can overwrite what is there, with something a bit more spunky. Not adjustable on the fly though. (that costs a LOT more.)

I have seen the 8.0s with 300K miles on 'em, still going strong.... yours is just getting broke in.

Quick Reply: Ideas???