2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This month's newsletter from RockAuto details why replacing the belt tensioner, at a regular interval, is a good idea. IIRC, the replacement cycle is ~50,000 - ~75,000 miles. Once again, cheap insurance.

This month, while replacing the original alternator on the 318 (5.2L) in my 1992 Dodge B250 van, I discovered the belt tensioner was frozen. A "frozen" belt tensioner usually refers to a bad bearing in the tensioner pulley. The tensioner pulley stops turning and the serpentine belt slips, melts and/or breaks.

This time it was the spring loaded tensioner arm that was frozen. I usually think of tensioner arms becoming too loose and floppy as the spring inside wears out. This tensioner arm was the opposite of floppy. I could not release the tension on the serpentine belt even while levering the tensioner arm with a 24 inch breaker bar. I could feel that the bolt head was going to break off the belt tensioner before the arm ever moved. I cut off the old serpentine belt so that I could remove the alternator.

Once I had the belt tensioner on the workbench, I could see that the tensioner arm spring was rubbing against and corroded into one side of the housing. It was the bearing inside the belt tensioner arm, rather than the bearing inside the belt tensioner pulley that had worn out first.

I was finally able to break the arm free after clamping the belt tensioner in a vise and jerking the arm back and forth with the breaker bar. The arm's tension was uneven and there was a screeching noise as the spring scraped against the housing.

Constant, unrelenting tension only works when there is a separate V-belt for every one or two accessories (alternator, water pump, etc.). Belt tension needs to be continuously adjusted on newer engines (like my 1992!) that have a single serpentine belt following an extremely complicated path to power all the accessories. I do not know for sure if the seized-up belt tensioner arm contributed to my alternator/charging system problems. I do know after installing a new belt tensioner, my A/C compressor no longer makes a rumbling sound when I first switch it on.

Belt tensioners are always inexpensive when compared to the cost of replacing accessories. On most engines it would be a good idea to change the whole belt tensioner assembly (tensioner pulley and tensioner arm) rather than just the tensioner pulley. The cost difference is usually relatively small, and if one tensioner bearing is worn out, then the rest of the tensioner might be close to failing too.

I am not in a hurry to replace more engine accessories, and a new full size passenger van easily costs $50,000 these days, so I treated my Dodge van to a new idler pulley, belt tensioner and serpentine belt. It is a good idea to replace the tensioner and any idler pulleys whenever it is time to replace the serpentine belt. RockAuto's "Belt Drive Component Kits" means buying a complete refresh of a belt system can take just one mouse click.

Tom Taylor,
RockAuto.com

Old 10-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Seems a little excessive to me

Old 10-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 AM
renardk764
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary-L

That's funny!

Old 10-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Hell yeah!

Old 11-04-2016, 10:54 AM
schmidtp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-24-2016, 08:49 AM
bargeman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Im thankful my truck isnt giving me any problems....Except when it comes to fuel economy........

Old 11-24-2016, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by bargeman
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Im thankful my truck isnt giving me any problems....Except when it comes to fuel economy........
Indeed.

Happy Thanksgiving folks.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:59 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

long time no see guys!

happy thanksgiving! hope all is well with everyone.

3rd gen, might be getting traded in, in a few months. 4th gen cummins possibly!

my built 360 is finally being transplanted spring 2017! i only have a couple more things to order.

motor mounts, and a throttle body.

for those who havent heard, rm_indy has parted out his truck, and sold it all.

im awaiting a response from him, about his 58mm throttle body that hes selling. been having trouble with paypal, and him not being able to take payments.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread