2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 07:44 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I aired up my tires last Sunday, apparently they were all flat or near flat, and holy crap does this thing roll and drive better now!

I gotta watch my speed down the side roads.

Also, looking for thoughts on a firearm purchase, looking for opinions from people that may own one. I'm looking to purchase my first hand gun, and NOT because I think Obama is coming for everyone's guns, but because I want one, initially I was looking at a Glock 21, then I stumbled upon the Glock 30s, a compact version, and then I came across the Smith and Wesson M&P 45.

I need to get my hands on all 3 to compare and anyone of y'all have any experience with those?

Also I might add that I don't currently have a conceal carry permit, so this would be an open carry weapon until such permit is obtained, so initially, concealment is not a huge issue.

Last edited by stewie01; 01-08-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
So I aired up my tires last Sunday, apparently they were all flat or near flat, and holy crap does this thing roll and drive better now!

I gotta watch my speed down the side roads.

Also, looking for thoughts on a firearm purchase, looking for opinions from people that may own one. I'm looking to purchase my first hand gun, and NOT because I think Obama is coming for everyone's guns, but because I want one, initially I was looking at a Glock 21, then I stumbled upon the Glock 30s, a compact version, and then I came across the Smith and Wesson M&P 45.

I need to get my hands on all 3 to compare and anyone of y'all have any experience with those?

Also I might add that I don't currently have a conceal carry permit, so this would be an open carry weapon until such permit is obtained, so initially, concealment is not a huge issue.

No experience with the Glock 21 or 30, but I did have a Glock 19 years back. A buddy and I bought pistols as we wanted to qualify for the Navy's shooting ribbon (he had the model 17). They are well balanced, shoot well, and are easy to break down. Everyone laughed (back then) at our "sissy plastic guns). Funny how Glock became well respected.

All I can say is see if you can test the different models you want and use what you're most comfortable firing.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:51 AM
bargeman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stewie are there any indoor gun ranges in your area? They should have quite an assortment for you to try on the range. I love my 1911 s. I didnt know this until last week that rock island makes a compact 45. around 475.00. Yeah its all steel but the grips are smooth and wont dig into your skin for "inside the pants" holsters.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:09 AM
stewie01
Legend

Actually yes there are indoor ranges around, and I can even rent a weapon to use.

Good idea.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:53 PM
bargeman
Professional

Im a firm believer of try before you buy... in sooooooo many aspects of life...

Old 01-09-2016, 12:55 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by bargeman
Im a firm believer of try before you buy... in sooooooo many aspects of life...
Indeed.

The local range that rents weapons to use doesn't have any of the 3 I'm most interested in, but we've got plenty of local gun retailers that I can go see the weapons at.

I'm heavily favoring the Smith & Wesson M&P .45 though.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Old 01-09-2016, 10:25 PM
bargeman
Professional

^^^Thats just wrong.......
Butt I must say thats funny......

Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Stewie,
I have experience with a number of firearms, including the ones you mentioned. I would definitely agree with Barge, find a range where you can rent them and find out what fits your hand the best. You could probably go to a gun store and hold a few to get an idea on hand fitment.

Between the M&P and Glock, I'd go Glock. You might consider looking at a Walther PPQ, they do have very nice ergonomics.

Personally, I shoot a Beretta 92.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 AM
Gary-L
Legend

I got in my truck to head to work this morning and I'm shocked to hear the local guys discussing David Bowie in the past tense before they clarified that he passed away last night.

Wow.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen Ram OT Thread