2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

408 build (needing a second mortgage 😯)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 11:39 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

FFFFFUUUUUUU****************!!!!!!!!

Got the wrong flywheel. Trying to get this thing stuffed in this weekend and it's been..... Not good. All of it is on me though, so I'm just venting about my dumbas*edness.

Difference between 130 tooth and 143 tooth flywheels.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:19 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

The joys of a 97. Went to check/ swap o-rings for the fuel rail today while waiting for ups to show up with my fly wheel (which they didn't have) when I noticed something wrong.
For those not familiar with the 97 fuel setup, it's different. It's about the cheapest thing possibly made. At one time it might have had a primary clip, with the secondary u-shaped clip, but I'm not sure there. Where the fuel line goes into the fuel rail (yes male slip end on fuel line, female on rail) there is a little plastic clip that fits snug over the line and fills the gap where the o-ring(s) reside. It just snaps into the rail.
The rail on the motor was missing this. I remembered stealing it for the motor that was running because it had broken. When I went to look at the old motor the little plastic peace was broken to bits also. Went digging to see if it was a replaceable part... and it's not. Even talked to a couple different stealerships about a replacement rail, and none of them could find any info on the 97 rail beyond the fact it was discontinued.
So now it looks like I'll be adding the fancy rails from hughes, along with the cross over lines and an adapter for my system for around $400 dollars. HiPoTec was the only other source I could find for rails that work with the airgap, and he was the same price or maybe a bit more. I don't remember now. All I do know is it will have to wait until payday.

FOR SALE (not really...yet)- MOSTLY FINISHED 408 STROKER. Have a detailed list of parts included. $6,000 plus shipping. Lol

Old 07-23-2016, 10:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Go to the junk yard, grab one of the metal rails from a truck there, and get the appropriate end from the parts store, for the fuel line.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:48 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

I'll get right on that. Lol

Closest scrap yard that says they have second gen parts.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That could be a problem. Of course, it would still prolly be cheaper to make the road trip, than it would to buy what you need from hughes. (who seem to be under the impression their parts are made of gold......) Assuming you actually have the time to make the road trip.......

Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

look on craigs list for guys selling part out trucks or parts. You should be able to find one there. Ebay?

Old 07-23-2016, 05:20 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That could be a problem. Of course, it would still prolly be cheaper to make the road trip, than it would to buy what you need from hughes. (who seem to be under the impression their parts are made of gold......) Assuming you actually have the time to make the road trip.......
You're right, it would be cheaper, but a bigger hassle for me. I hate that town. Only reason I go there anymore is for work or family. The only problem I'm having with hughes is it feels like a used car lot; $250 for the rails. Oh you want to connect them, that's another $150, and you've got the super ultra rare 97 fuel line... That'll be another $20 for the adapter.

Originally Posted by Moparite
look on craigs list for guys selling part out trucks or parts. You should be able to find one there. Ebay?
Found a few old crusty rails on ebay that the owners think are made of gold. Second gen dodges usually don't get parted out around this area. I've only started seeing second gens on Facebook recently and most are running trucks for $3500+ (gas) and $12,000+ (diesel). They're a prized possession. Clean, but prized.

Thanks both for the input, and reading my vent.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ya know, I wouldn't be at all surprised if I didn't have another metal rail laying about somewhere...... Should I try and find it for you?

Old 07-23-2016, 10:32 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain

Pm sent sir.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Frankie B JR,
If HeyYou doesn't have a fuel rail for you I do. I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping if you want it. I got the fancy fuel rails to go with the AirGap so I have my old fuel rails. On top of that my engine I bought to make my 408 had the fuel rails on it too.

Quick Reply: 408 build (needing a second mortgage 😯)