2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Replacement Truck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Once you have driven it for a few weeks let us know how many gas stations you can't pass. I'm guessing around 10 mpg like Ramman said but I am curious.
Good looking truck. There is one over here on the left coast where we don't get as much rust selling for $2,000.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Once you have driven it for a few weeks let us know how many gas stations you can't pass. I'm guessing around 10 mpg like Ramman said but I am curious.
Good looking truck. There is one over here on the left coast where we don't get as much rust selling for $2,000.
I got this one for about half what they were originally asking for it, simply because of the v-10, it is reputed appetite for gasoline. I was well aware of that when I bought it, but, I don't really drive a lot.... less than 5K per year, so, fuel economy isn't all that much of an issue. In all reality, it isn't going to be much worse than the 96 with the 5.9.....

I went and looked at this truck several weeks ago, and rather liked it, but, didn't want to pay what they were asking.... I made an offer, but, they turned it down. Couple weeks later, they made me a better offer, I countered, they accepted. When I went to get it it, the radio was still on the station I had set it on, and the seat and mirrors were still adjusted for me..... I don't think anyone else looked at it. And I suspect that is because of the fuel consumption.

If I could afford it, I would fly my happy keester out there, plunk down the 2 grand, and drive it home. Might have been a cheaper option for me.... That would certainly be novel.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:01 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the new tinker toy! Good looking machine for the rust belt.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:27 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with it, friend has the 97 v10 LOOOOOONG bed
that thing is GIANT and I think he said he is lucky if he gets 8mpg
he bought it new and it does what he needs it to do ( lives in country )
in the winter time I don't think it has more than 70K on it

Old 02-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice, another red V10! Wish I had those 4.56's.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not my favorite color, but, that's the color it was. I'll learn to love it. Eventually.... Makes it easy to find in parking lots at least.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

Not to put a hex on it, but get a crank and cam sensor for the spares box as soon as you can. For what ever reason, they are not stocked anywhere and availability can be problematic online. Other than that most everything else is easy to come by.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

How about coil packs and modules? I know the ones for the OBDI trucks make hens teeth look downright common.....

Put a battery in it today, no more slow cranking. Also picked up a thermostat and gasket. Thermo was a carquest unit... but, it looked really good, and felt substantial. I'll try it out, and see what happens.... Has a one year warranty on it, so, if it don't work, I can at least get my money back.

Ordered headlights, and the heavy duty harness yesterday. Harness has already shipped..... Haven't seen shipping info for the headlights yet. Picked up bulbs at the parts store.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

The coils are available at a lot of places. Checked the service manual on the ignition modules. Says the coils are fired directly from the PCM. No mention of any modules at all.

Last edited by Jimythefan; 02-11-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Interesting. I may have to dig into that a bit deeper. Just in case.

Order a new battery hold down clamp, bolts, and such too. Mine seems to be MIA.... can't believe how much they get for those.... one place wanted 16 bucks for ONE BOLT. Got the whole thing for 44.00, that should be a fun install.....