2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Replacement Truck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My 10 really likes 1st too. When it's really cold out I usually have to let up on it to get to shift till it warms up a little. I wonder if replacing the shift solenoid would help. The only v10 tuner I know of is the SCT from Hemifever, but it doesn't do shift points.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

1-2 shift is the only real issue I have. 2-3 is fine, then TCC lockup, and O/D come in when expected. What's REALLY strange though, is if I step on the gas pedal HARDER from a stop, it shifts SOONER. Seems kinda bass ackwards to me.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, went and inspected my steering. Just the linkage for the moment, didn't jack it up at all. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I already have the HD steering linkage. Nice. Looks like it's original as well, or, at least, has been on there for quite some time. Unfortunately, it looks like the bulk of my slop is in the steering box... that the previous owner has already replaced once. Still looks shiny, clean, and new.

I'll try adjusting it first, and see if that does me any good.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:57 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, on the bright side, if you do have to replace the steering box you can get the ratio you want.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
Well, on the bright side, if you do have to replace the steering box you can get the ratio you want.
indeed.

One thing I notice, and did a bit of research on... Was that over-center, if you rock the steering wheel, all it does is roll the tie rod. This gives a pretty significant dead spot on-center...... There are supposedly fixes out there for it, and I am waiting to hear back from one of the manufacturers now, to see I can can get one for my truck, and test it out. (I am sure I will have to buy it....)

Old 02-28-2017, 05:28 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still stumped on the delayed 1-2 shift on mine as well.
It's kinda nice not knowing mine's the only one. I'm about to crack and take it to a shop and have them hook it up and see what' going on. Just want to find the guys to look at it (and some extra money). I don't want to be told I need a rebuild.

I have the same dead spot on center too. That's interesting what you said about your tie rod rolling like it does. I've noticed my side to side has no play but you can rock the tie rod like you would think the thing was bad. Look forward to hearing what you find out about the fix. My next couple hundred bucks is going to the rock solid steering kit and a steering box stabilizer. I haven't looked close enough at the leak location, but I may need a new gear box too. Already got new sway bar and control arm bushing to put in, just waiting for a good full day to mess with that stuff.

On the delayed shift thing, would that check valve still being in there cause problems? It just doesn't like that light throttle. I'll usually let off the gas to get it to shift, just cause I feel like I'm saving gas that way. Already did a solenoid kit from cascade. Wondering if those things are picky about wanting Mopar solenoid.

What I really need to get fixed is my computer. This thing likes to freeze up.

Last edited by racefan41; 02-28-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I do computer repair as well. Not to mention complete builds. MUCH easier (not to mention: cheaper, than building trucks. )

Does yours have the HD steering?

Let me know what you find out on the delay 1-2 shift. I am REAL curious what that's all about.

My oil pressure is weird too.... at cold start, it's in the middle of the first line, and the 40 at idle. As the engine warms, oil pressure goes UP.... and at idle, it will be right around 40. I know the pump is driven off the crank snout, and they were problematic the first couple years... wonder if the screws that hold the back plate on are getting loose...... Might explain my lifter noise too. I may have adequate pressure, but, what about volume??

Old 02-28-2017, 06:46 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I do computer repair as well. Not to mention complete builds. MUCH easier (not to mention: cheaper, than building trucks. )

Does yours have the HD steering?

Let me know what you find out on the delay 1-2 shift. I am REAL curious what that's all about.

My oil pressure is weird too.... at cold start, it's in the middle of the first line, and the 40 at idle. As the engine warms, oil pressure goes UP.... and at idle, it will be right around 40. I know the pump is driven off the crank snout, and they were problematic the first couple years... wonder if the screws that hold the back plate on are getting loose...... Might explain my lifter noise too. I may have adequate pressure, but, what about volume??
Computer repair too....nice! Honestly, is mostly this site. Info overload in here. Its probably something as easy as paying for "real" connection, but I can't get past the free connection (google fibber)

I haven't looked into if I had the HD steering or not. What does that entail?

My oil pressure is pretty steady from start to running sitting on the upper mid range line (if that makes sense). I trust my gauge enough at this point because it's steady, but any unusual movement I think I'm gonna go with my own gauges. Have you listened from underneath to the pump? I do have a random tap noise coming from pan or rear engine area that I've wondered about. It could be fairly "normal" sound for older pump too. Not really sure. You mention those screws coming loose, might be the right direction. No lifter noise at all for me.....yet.

Has your MMO seemed to help at all?

Will definitely keep informed about the ol' 1-2 if I find something out. So many projects going at once.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I have a measely 15mb/s ADSL connection. Which is FAR superior to the 1-1.5mb/s terrestrial wireless connection I was forced to use when I first moved in. Conveniently enough, the local telco installed DSL about two years after I moved in, and the pad is about three feet from my property line. I could bump to 25, but, I don't really need it, and don't wanna spend the additional money. (yep, I'm cheap.)

Oil pump is in the front timing cover..... right on the crank snout on the 8.0. Kind of an odd place for a it, but, hey, I didn't design the engine.

The HD steering is an inverted "T" style, the standard steering is the inverted "Y"... Difference being how the left and right are connected. The HD steering has a solid tie rod running from side to side.... It has its good points, and bad points... I am hoping to be able to address the bad points.

I've only put about 60 miles on the truck since adding it, and I only put in a pint. (directions call for a quart... and change....) I didn't really wanna dump that much kerosene into my oil... (yeah, MMO is kerosene, and some other stuff.) I am going to leave it in there for a bit yet, then change the oil/filter. (I already have the Valvoline Max Life oil, and a Mopar filter.....)

Old 02-28-2017, 07:42 PM
racefan41
Captain

Hmm, maybe I'm NOT hearing my oil pump. That design is a new one to me. That is helpful to know. I know its not a rod knock, so I feel good about that at least. I know that dreaded sound too well.
From what you describe, I believe I do have the HD.
I hope the MMO and new oil do you some good.

Yeah, fast internet isn't where I wanna throw my cash either. Got gas to buy.

Last edited by racefan41; 02-28-2017 at 07:46 PM.