2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

3rd Brake Light/Cargo Light/Reverse Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:34 AM
bitterrootbull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Brake Light/Cargo Light/Reverse Light

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 extended Cab ST truck.

This truck came factor with the 3rd Brake/Cargo/rev light fixture. I replaced it with a LED one. I plugged this in place to the OEM one, blew out my interior, radio, door locks and who knows what else. Thanks for the advice on here, I was able to fix the interior, radio, door locks etc. Issue is, I have no power for cargo light I do have one wire that has power all the time. The brake light works great. Any suggestions where to look to find where I lost power for this cargo light on rear top of cab outside above bed. I've checked both boxes for blown fuses. I did not put the two fuses in the yellow holders because they say air bags. The fuse under the black holder was the one that was blown for the interior cab lights.

I even reinstalled the OEM 3rd brake yada, yada, yada, It too does not work. I knew it would not but I thought what the heck, lets just see.

Do any of you folks have any suggestions what could be wrong and where I should look?

I looked in the service manual provided to me via a link by heyYou but I have a Traumatic Brain Injury and could not find the correct wiring diagram. I found where they showed u how to pull the two screw out that hold the light into the cab and how to un-plug the harness, really, do they really think they needed to tell anyone this let a lone show you a photo of the light? OK, I'm done complaining. Just frustrated. Anyone please help

Last edited by bitterrootbull; 03-21-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Headlamp switch provides ground for the cargo lights. Detail of wiring is on page 8W-44-3 and 4. Might wanna look at the back of the headlight switch for burnt wires.