2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:04 AM
Works4Ford
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me?

Is it just me or do you guys with the base/hat type filters hear air being suctioned in really loud between just a little throttle and up to about 3/4 throttle and then if you mash the pedal and hold it, it sounds like normal? I like the sound of the suction when you "blip" the throttle real fast but the constant suction noise is getting kind of annoying.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:25 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is it just me?

I have that with the Edlebrock air hat and hate the sound. It's annoying as hell but I guess it's just something I will have to deal with. I've actually considered putting my stock airbox back on just to get rid of the sound as the air filter didn't seem to help the power much at all that I could notice. It is a lot easier to work around though. My CAI on my Accord sounds 100x better and only kicks in in the upper RPM's when you nail the gas. This thing seems to make that noise if you are on the gas at all it doesn't have to be on it hard. If you are WOT it sounds good to me but thats the only time.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

i too have the edelbrock air cleaner and get that noise, i put it on my old monte carlo and loved the sound of it, and still love the sound of it. it really comes in handy when you dont want to hear what someone has to say.

btw works4ford, thats a nice lookin blue oval block there. even though the problem is circled quite well, it looks nice.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea my mopar filter makes the noise it doesnt bother me i just turn up the music

Old 04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it is not just you!
There are many things suggested to increase performance in these here forums. Thanks go to the people that are willing to try something new and then share the results with everybody.
[sm=thanx.gif]But, a big thanks to the people in this post for talking about the air filter noise. It is so nice to get the full story, not just the performance part.
I wish I would have had the full story on the 180deg stat before I spent the time to do that change. (Sorry, I am still kicking that can around and mumbling to myself. I will get over it someday.)

Old 04-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine used to only make noise at startup. Once it was warmed up, it didn't make any audible sucking noise save for what it normally sounds like. Ever since I put in the B&G flashed PCM, it makes a very audible sucking sound in the approximate RPM range you all mentioned. Not sure what has changed. Doesn't really bother me though.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional

My filter is really pretty quite, maybe because it's over a foot long?

Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Terran
Professional

That's just the noise you get used to with a performance filter, 360ci of air is alot of air to suck in! You could try some sound deadener in the engine compartment if you want.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Works4Ford
Rookie

But I still don't understand why it only does it at part throttle? If it was the flow of air, why wouldn't it make that sound at WOT?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:26 PM
mopar crazy
Professional

Ive got that same sound from my Mopar Performance Air Cleaner, somewhat high pitch air sucking sound ( even a huge vaccum leak sound) during normal acceleration but a deep, loud engine, secondaries kicking in with an air induction hood, sound at wide open throttle.

The reason why you hear this higher sound only during normal acceleration rather than wide open throttle is that during normal acceleration the butterflys are only open so much, thus the air being pulled in will be fast through a smaller opening. At wide open throttle the butterflys are wide open and the air being pulled in has no restriction, thus a deep air flow sounding sound.

Its kinda shape your lips like you were going to whistle or kiss your girl, then suck in the air and listen to the sound. Now open your mouth and suck in the air and you will notice the difference.