2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing front axle U joints - clicking

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:30 AM
uponone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing front axle U joints - clicking

Hi guys...I searched through some old posts and determined I have a clicking noise coming from my front axle U joints. Yesterday, I was able to take the hub nut off, the caliper off, and the the 9/16 bolts off...but nothing wanted to budge. I'm assuming once I take those 3 - 9/16 bolts off that the outer housing should come off and I can slide the axle/ujoint out for replacement. Am I correct? Do I need to take the upper/lower ball joints off and the whole slide the axle out along with everything else or should I just keep on pounding away at that outer houseing for the bearings? Those three 9/16 bolts should hold that on...correct?

Thanks in advance!
Oh-its a 1995 dodge ram 1500.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
DODGE 4X4
Default RE: Changing front axle U joints - clicking

yeah the hard part is over withit should come right off. be carefull with the shafts when you are taking them in or out because there is a seal in there that is almost impossible to find at a part storeI had the same problem a few days ago.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
uponone
Rookie

Thats what I thought. I figured once I took those three 9/16 bolts off everything should come apart (with taking the ball joints off -ect) but its not. Does that outer cover (thats held on with the three 9/16 bolts) take some force to get off? Maybe its rusted on? Any hints/ideas?

Once you took your bolts off, it was easy to get off and you can get to your bearings and/or slide your axle out?

Old 04-12-2007, 11:52 AM
DODGE 4X4

The clicking could be the hub itself that is what the problem with mine was

Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Ram Work Truck

The clicking you are hearing is the u-joint correct they usually dont get greased and thats why they wear out. Did mine about 6 moths back if i recall correctly you pull the wheel remove the caliper, leave the hub on unbolt the three bolts pull the hub and front axel as one piece , then ist just remove the u-joint and reverse for install. I hope this is right if i could see my truck right now i could tell you better but its pouring outside right now. I can tell you this driver/side took me about 4 hrs i pulled the hub and reset it , passangers/side less than 1 hr had it down by then.......... If you still dont have any luck LMK and when it stops raining i can look at my truck and help you better

Old 04-12-2007, 11:54 AM
uponone
Rookie

I don't think so...there is a TOn of play in the U-joins...they are shot. I can twist the axle by hand and make the clicking sound right from u-joints - they are bad! To much beach driving with salty air. Thats why I think that outer cover is giving me such a problem.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:58 AM
DODGE 4X4

yeah a hammer and some WD 40 should do the trick

Old 04-12-2007, 11:58 AM
VTBoater

I would hardly say the hard part is over if your hubs are rusted on like mine were. Getting the hubs/bearing assy off is the hard part. After they come off, then the axle shafts just slide right out. The first one I tried I did not get it off myself. After seeing how a mechanic friend got it, it did get the second one off with a jaw puller and lots of chisel pounding between the hub and knuckle. If you want to reuse the hubs this is not the best method. There is a tool out there that Autozone has called a slide hammer, looks like it would work well but you have to have the correct size hub puller attachment. The one I brought home from autozone did not fit on my 8 lug hub. I think it would work well if you had the right setup. The Ram hub design is pretty unfriendly. I replaced both front hubs and used anti seize lube, hopefully I will never struggle with those again on this truck.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Ram Work Truck

hit it with liquid wrench that should help

Old 04-12-2007, 01:49 PM
uponone
Rookie

IT WORKED!! Great... a can of WD-40, some chizles and a sledge hammer did the job.

Now next question....WHATS THE SECRET ON GETTING THE U-JOINTS OUT????

Quick Reply: Changing front axle U joints - clicking