2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel line quick disconnects?? yeah right...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:49 AM
heartless
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel line quick disconnects?? yeah right...

Ok, so here's the deal - have a 95 Ram 1500 4x4 that blew a brake line recently (extremely rusted), of course it was the one that runs along the inside of the frame to the rear axle...dropped the fuel tank to gain access to the line & remove it - so far so good. Problem is the main fuel line is also extremely rusty & we would like to replace it while we have the access but cant seem to get the darn front "quick disconnect" to come apart!! [:@][/align]any pointers, suggestions, help getting this thing apart would be greatly appreciated.[/align]

Old 04-16-2007, 01:23 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: fuel line quick disconnects?? yeah right...

I cut down a small hard plastic hose connector so it fit just around the fuel rail where the line connects. I then pushed it into the connector and the two separated with ease. When you can stop by NAPA or Wal-mart and pick up the $5 tool that does this.

My nephew took one of the small hose clamps apart and used it to slide into the connection to separate the pieces.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:34 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you got the disconnect tool ? anywhere from $5 (single size) -$20 (kit of several sizes) at any parts store. the fuel line is usually the 3/8" size. the mating ends of the disconnect have spring fingers that grab, and the tool (or a piece of hose) is necessary to spread the fingers. spray it full of wd40 to help with the rust. stick the tool in, and if it doesn't seperate easy, give it a small, very gently back and forth twist.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:37 AM
heartless

not trying to disconnect at the fuel rail - trying to disconnect down on the frame where the hard line meets the flex line that goes to the rail. the flex line looks to be fine, but that hard line is falling apart. [/align][/align]it has been sprayed with PB Blaster, and we have used a pick to try to pick out the worst of the flaky stuff, and sprayed agian - after about an hour still no movement in ANY direction...[&o][/align]

Old 04-16-2007, 01:02 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

The trick was to just abandon the original brake line and simply install a new 5 foot line instead.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:25 AM
heartless

The trick was to just abandon the original brake line and simply install a new 5 foot line instead.
[/align][/align]Thats all fine and dandy for the brake line, but need to replace the fuel line as well before it starts spewing gasoline all over the place.[/align]Still no luck getting this thing apart.[/align]

Old 04-17-2007, 10:51 AM
heartless

ok, created a simple diagram of the connection we are trying to get apart - the hard line is very rusted & flaky.[/align][/align]the other half did pick up one of the little tools on the way home last night but not real sure if it is going to help us on this connector. we have tried to pick out any loose flakes of rust frominside the connection, sprayed it withPB Blaster repeatedly, picked some more, sprayed, picked, sprayed - etc.[/align][/align]am i right in guessing the tabs need to be squeezed toward the hard line to get it disconnected??[/align]Just poor workin stiffs here and trying to replace the entire fuel line is a mighty pricey proposition on empty wallets- a bit over $100. the hard line alone is about $40 if we can just get this darn connection apart.[/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Found the answer in my 2001 Dodge Service Manual. They do need squeezed. I am unable to add photo's for some reason so I'll look for your e-mail. If I don't find it by 5PM CST and directly e-mail the docs, send me a PM.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35230/ADDF70970F9D4D7F8583C96CEC1119B7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2007, 11:37 AM
heartless

thank you for the info turkeyhunter - seems the other half has decided we arent gonna get the darn thing apart and he has ordered the entire fuel line from rail to tank. oh well - mac & cheese for dinner for a while! [/align]ought to be fun trying to getthe new oneinstalled into the little clips that hold the upper portion in place...was interesting trying to get the original one out of there! picture a 5'4" female up in the engine compartment practically lying on top of the engine while trying to reach down between the block and firewall....[/align]

Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

You're welcome. Do you have a copy of the service manual from the Merry Christmas thread here? If not, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send my zipped copy directly to you. I found my copy of it here at work. It's 61 MB in size so hopefully you're not on a dial up connection.

Quick Reply: fuel line quick disconnects?? yeah right...