2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 AM
dnfd737
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start

ok found my plenum pan cracked and replaced it again got everything back together now the motor turns over but will not start any thoughts?

Old 05-16-2007, 12:45 AM
rollerstud98
Rookie
Default RE: wont start

i was just recently fooling around under my hood and had a similar problem arise, it turned out to be a sensor or something on the drivers side at the back of the motor, it had just come un plugged a little bit, it is about an inch and a 1/4 wide and mine is gray, maybe check that sucker out

Old 05-16-2007, 01:02 AM
xyzik
Rookie

you have to do the basic troubleshooting for no start, you need to find out what you dont have.

you need:
Spark
Fuel
Air

1. Air: is always easy, you always get air and if you dont have enough you will run rough or cough out
2. fuel: check for pressure or use a steth to listen to the injectors for clicking sounds to see if the open and close
3. spark: an inline spark checker (cheap from harbor freight) is a good way to see if you got spark, no spark? most likely a sensor problem like the : CrankPS, CamPS, and other stuff that falls under the spark category

hope this helps...

Old 05-16-2007, 01:25 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lots of electrical connections to check.
3 around top of TB. iac on rear, tps on drivers side, map on front.
injectors
alternator connection next to drivers side valve cover
a couple of grounds on power steering bracket. (not connected causes 'no bus')
intake air sensor on top pass. side of manifold.
temp sensor on front of manifold.
coil stuff.
distributor cap seated, rotor on ?, plug wires. coil wire.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 AM
dnfd737
Veteran

Thanks guys I did get a no bus message once then I cleaned the - on the battery and it went away. This sux I shoulda paid the dealer

Old 05-17-2007, 12:10 PM
dnfd737
Veteran

ok got spark the fuel pump does not seem to be coming on traded relays and checked fuses all grounds and plugs seem to be good now what?

Old 05-17-2007, 02:22 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

When you say the fuel pump is not coming on. How did you check it? By ear or gauge?You canput a jumper across the leads where the relay plugs in to see if the pump fires up.Also check to make sure that the injectors are hooked up in the right order, and double check one more time forground straps hanging loose around the back of the motor and firewall. Did you disconnect the batteryground during the whole fix?

Old 05-18-2007, 01:56 PM
dnfd737
Veteran

Ok here it is the rest of the story......
I checked all grounds there were no grounds on the back of the motor that I had removed. I called the local dealer and the mechanic said I have missed a ground and said try the back of the motor. I was slightly agitated as I knew I did not take anything off of the back end of the motor so just to prove to myself I was right I got up in there and I was right no ground but I did find the problem. When I bolted the manifold down a wire had gotten pinched in the last bolt on the drivers side and was grounded out. a twist of the bolt removed wire retorqued bolt and fired right off.
I let it warm up shut it down drained oil and as I am laying on the ground I slid the pan out only for a sales man to come up and trip on the oil spilling everything right there in the car port I was so pissed. Then the guy ran off. So out to the store for a bag of cat litter and a rental pressure washer. While pressure washing I am not sure how this happened but the glass in the front of my cap got broken so thats another $170 so in short this whole project has not saved me any money at all when you count what my time was worth. But I wouldnt let anyone else do it for me either.
Btw no more pinging I guess the first aluminum plenum plate was defective I did get a new one for free and since it was free I figure its not so bad.

Quick Reply: wont start