2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

plz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: plz help

Temp sensor. My dad has a Caravan with the 3.0L engine. When his engine temp sensor went bad, the thing was running full rich. He had a mechanic hook up a computer, which showed the engine temp to be about -200ยบ. No ****. The thing was just pouring on the fuel to get the engine to heat up. Installed a new temp sensor and BLAMMO, runs like a top.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:44 AM
XXL 1500
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: plz help

that was the first thing i checked, i ran diag with the DRB to check for all sensor inputs first and all were fine.
but im sure you dont have one lol the cheapest things are the best to replace first before dumping money for a pcm

Old 06-27-2007, 12:46 AM
dishdude2k
Captain
Default I GOT IT!!!

FIXED!!! turned out there was like 2 gallons of WATER in the fuel tank.. there was also sand.. dirt.. and grass in the fuel tank.. someone pissed this lady that owned this thing before me off... guess ill be putting a locking gas cap on this... only other thing.. i got a P1294 ... Target Idle Not Reached ... im gonna take a guess.. might need a new air filter? ? im gonna assume its part of the IAC control .. and i am getting a louder than norm air sound through it.. any ideas?

Old 06-27-2007, 02:00 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: I GOT IT!!!

i'll be darned. after reading the answer i went back and re-read your original post. never would have guessed the simplest of things. how did you figure it out ?

grass. i've never seen grass in the gas tank. thanks for posting the answer. i wish everybody would do that.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

well.. figured out there was a good amount of water in it when i pulled the line at the rail ... lots of pressure.. but what came out.. left a puddle on the concrete.. gas soaks in and spreads fast.. evaporates... the water puddled and ran down hill.. dropped the tank.. syphoned out the 10 gallons of crap.. and wow.. was it nasty...

Old 06-27-2007, 12:11 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you found that, but at the same time that really sux. I recommend changing your fuel filter if you havn't done so already.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:51 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

ALL IS FIXED.. no c/e no sputtering.. no nothin but a good runnin van.. thanks all to helped.. it was GREATLY appreciated.. upon all the gas, sand, dirt, and grass i found in the gas tank.. when i put it all together.. i inadvertantly forgot to hook up the IAC plug... apparently i didnt see it when i put it all together.. so it was out of sight out of mind.. it fell down behind the exhaust.. in which.. i went out driving.. and it melted the plug beyond any REMOTE kind of use.. went to the scrap yard.. picked one up.. put it on.. cleaned out the throttle body and the IAC while i was at it (man was it dirty).. started it up.. idled perfect.. took it on the town.. and its flawless.. again thanks all..