2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

5.2/5.9 engine noise information

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:03 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2/5.9 engine noise information

I was recently asked about diagnosing an engine noise that soounded eerily like a lifter tap, but still remained after the lifters were replaced. To help others with the same issue I am posting my reply to that person here.

Sorry to hear that the noise is still there. I'll give you all the info I can think of and hope it helps. You did not mention how many miles you have driven the truck since you replaced the lifters so I will not assume anything.

There arethreeareas of the Magnum engine thatI can think of that make the same type of noise. I'll work from cheapest and easiest to check to most expensive and hardest fix.

1) The lifters - (reuse the valve cover gaskets & need mechanics stethoscope)
The easiest way I can tell you to check for a bad lifter is to use a mechanics stethoscope. Pull the valve cover on one side and then reconnect your spark plug wires. Start the engine and then place the tip of the stethoscope on the rocker arm bolt. The sound you hear from each bolt should sound the same. It will be very easy to tell if you still have one bad lifter. If you have not driven the truck much, I remember that it took a half hour or so of having the engine running before all of the lifter noise was gone. If you've driven the truck more than that the lifter should have fully pumped up on it's own.

Also, it is possible the lifter is good, but you somehow have a plugged oil passage feeding the lifter. Visually check the amount of oil being pushed up each pushrod into your rocker arms. It should look close on each rocker. If the loud one looks dry, then it's an oil feed problem. Possible oil passage, lifter, push rod, or rocker arm issue).

Do what you can during this testing to only run the engine long enough to make your diagnosis as some oil will get onto your exhaust manifolds and smoke. Do what you can to prevent that from happening too much. Also a hot engine is a bitch to work on.

2) Exhaust Manifold gasket leak. (New Exhaust Manifold Gaskets - $20 at NAPA & possible new manifold to exhaust system bolts)
I had a small exhaust manifold gasket leak that sounded just like a valve tap. Drove me nuts until I pulled the exhaust manifolds and saw the blown gasket. While diagnosing this one I even had a friend come over and listen and even he thought it might be a lifter. He's the one that had run into the exhaust manifold gasket problem before on a different vehicle.

I recommend spraying PB Blaster onto the cold engine exhaust manifold bolts and letting the stuff sit for an hour. Greatest stuff since canned beer. Take as much care as you can removing the exhaust manifold bolts as I've know people to break them in the heads. They are very easy to reach so also be sure to use a six point socket to prevent stripping the head.

Once the manifold is off, you should be able to see a black streak running from the exhaust port through the gasket to the outside if this was your issue. I could see it even though I broke the gasket taking mine off.

3)Timing Chain (Most expensive and hardest to do)
the Dodge magnum engines have a notorious habit of developing a timing chain noise that sounds like lifter rattle after a number of miles. To prevent this, Dodge manufactured a timing chain tensioner that replaces the factory thrust plate for the camshaft. It serves as the new thrust plate while providing tension to the timing chain and eliminating the timing chain noise. Be extremely careful doing this job to NOT move the crankshaft while the timing chain is off. If you do not move the camshaft or crankshaft while the timing chain is off, you will not have any timing issues once the truck is back together. BTW, you will have to loosen the oil pan gasket to do this repair, but the gasket is re-usable so unless a new one is included in your gasket set and you want to replace it, you do not have to.

I have attached bitmap files showing what each of these looks like. When I build my engine I installed one of these, but since you tackled the lifters I will assume that you understand engines some and can figure out how to do this job. If you do not havea copy of the 2001 Dodge Ram Service Manual I have it in zipped format I could attempt to send you. If you have high speed internet you should be able to download it and unzip it for your own use. The information in the manual is useful for all 2nd gen Rams and walks you through the necessary steps of timing chain/camshaft replacement which will tell you everything you need for this job. Not an easy job, but honestly it is not that difficult for a halfway competent mechanic with a nice assortment of tools.

I ordered my tensioner through Monicatti Dodge http://www.monicattichrysler.com/chrysler-dodge-mopar-parts.asp. I have purchased parts there before and they are very easy to deal with, usually have the parts on hand, and have some of the best prices on the net.

Depending on the mileage of your truck, you may consider a new double roller timing chain and gears but that's your call.

These are the 3 areas I can think of that would cause the sound that you are hearing. The mechanics stethoscope can help in diagnosing the sound if it is mechanical. maybe before pulling the valve covers you might want to use the stethoscope and do a general listen to your engine to see if anything jumps out at you. Listen on top of the valve covers over each cylinder, at each cylinder exhaust and intake port on the manifolds, through the intake manifold at the center front of the engine (timing chain), tensioner and idler bearings for belt, just anywhere you can safely listen while the engine is running.

Good luck and I hope this helps. While it is a pain to diagnose something like this it is also fun to be able to find it, fix it, and talk about it as having done it yourself when you are done.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me again. I'll try to help as much as I can.

Bob

[IMG]local://upfiles/35230/AF9A0CBCE85B4180A179349E3EB8A461.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/35230/6384E65674DC4B79A13CCA031AABFB4F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 5.2/5.9 engine noise information

Great post.

I agree that the timing chain is a long but doable job for most patient backyard mechanics. If a lifter is suspect, you might want to try some Marvel Mystery Oil in your oil and run it for awhile. I've had great success in freeing up a sticky lifter with MMO.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:18 AM
kevin025701

I'm hearing a tapping noise and only when the motor is fully warmed up or driven 4-5 miles. Sounds like it's coming from the right side valve cover to me. I've tried all the oil additives but no joy so far. Any way to check the exhaust gaskets without pulling the manifolds off?

Old 06-22-2008, 12:49 PM
nmason
Veteran

ive got a 3.9. bought the truck with 89k. im now up to 240k and the same ticking noise is still there, its there from the moment you turn the key. ive had several mechanics look everywhere to no avail. none have mentionned looking at the timing chain or exhaust though. ill look at those and see what comes out of it.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 PM
sparky10

I just had a new 5.9L engine put into my 98 Durango and it has the clicking noise coming from the engine. I took it to the shop that did the install and the mechanic said it was the valves, but that was how the engine was designed. He also said there was nothing to be done about it. I want to take it to a Dodge Dealership to let them hear it. Is there anything I can do about this?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

My 5.9 idles quiet as a church mouse. No ticking, clicking, or any other nerve wracking noises.

Get a second opinion. Just go to some other shop, and have them take a quick listen.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Bug Out
Default found a fix for dodge 5.9 ticking knocking noise

After studying dozens of posts about the 5.9 with ticking/knocking noise, but only doing it AFTER a few minutes of running I came to the conclusion it had to be the timing chain.

Sure enough I pulled the timing cover off and the chain had a 1" of play in it. I'm surprised it did not jump a tooth.

I could see where it was tapping on the aluminum cover and had bent the sheet metal cam gizmo...That holds the cam in place.

I have video's of both old and new chains if anyone is interested.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bug Out
After studying dozens of posts about the 5.9 with ticking/knocking noise, but only doing it AFTER a few minutes of running I came to the conclusion it had to be the timing chain.

Sure enough I pulled the timing cover off and the chain had a 1" of play in it. I'm surprised it did not jump a tooth.

I could see where it was tapping on the aluminum cover and had bent the sheet metal cam gizmo...That holds the cam in place.

I have video's of both old and new chains if anyone is interested.

Hey, props on doing a thorough search! And welcome to DF.

Can I suggest something? How about starting a new thread with a title along the line of "Timing chain ticking sound" and post the photos and video there. The reasoning is that is someone is having a similar problem and does a search, they will find your thread!

And I for one would like to see what you found. Have you replaced it yet? Hope you went with a double roller timing set. They are better than the Morse style chain from Dodge.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
hey, props on doing a thorough search! And welcome to df.

Can i suggest something? How about starting a new thread with a title along the line of "timing chain ticking sound" and post the photos and video there. The reasoning is that is someone is having a similar problem and does a search, they will find your thread!

And i for one would like to see what you found. Have you replaced it yet? Hope you went with a double roller timing set. They are better than the morse style chain from dodge.

+1....

Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Bug Out

Apparently as a new member, the forum would not let me put up a post. I tried that before I replied to the other link.

Quick Reply: 5.2/5.9 engine noise information