2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

a/c evaporator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
MagnumVP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cab fresh filter. I never would have thought of something like that... but I like it.

When it comes to the heater hose, which one? At RockAuto there are a few of them to choose from? Any recommendations? I'm not sure if I will even need one until I get in there. Perhaps I will see if my local Kragen/Napa/Auto Zone has one and if I need it just run down and pick it up.

Do they make form fitting form for the area you used the water pipe wrap? Just curious really, because I really like your idea. It's functional and cheap.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 PM
planetb

Originally Posted by Flue
I would add THIS to assist in preventing the above picture. I'll be replacing my core this spring and adding a cab-fresh filter assembly is one thing I'll be doing. Besides, they spread liquid manure around these parts...good gawd does that smell bad! Carbon filter might help that just a little bit.
Just so you know, Thats from a 1999 with 57k miles on it.. Was tons of dog hair up in there and looks like tree/bird seed.. I ordered the cab-fresh filter. So hope I wont see this problem again.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 PM
truegent81
Captain

here's my situation:
no access to tools (a/c tools, vacuum tools, really any tools),i'll have to go buy some sockets and so on, live in apartment with no shop. my evap. is leaking, possibly compressor or possibly condenser

my plan is to try and follow this DIY for removing evap. and heater core. i'll need to double check if the compressor is leaking or the conden. once i establish that, i can remove the problem. my question is, once i complete the HVAC removal and get everything plugged up, can i drive my truck without doing ANYTHING to the a/c after just servicing it? i would like to drive it to a local shop who i trust for them to finish with the a/c. so what would be my best COA be? i am thinking to just do the HVAC part myself and have the shop do the compressor and a/c work. if i mess with the compressor, i'll have to do the oil and flush the system etc. i figured the most laborious part is the HVAC. TIA

Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If there is no pressure in the system, the compressor simply won't run, and the pulley will free-wheel. I.E. no danger of damage to the system. Once you have it all put back together, you can drive it to get it recharged.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:19 PM
truegent81
Captain

how do you remove the lines that are on top of the compressor? i heard there are some o rings under there that may be leaking and i wanna replace those.

do yall think theres a good chance its just the o rings leaking? i really couldn't tell how else the compressor would be leaking. i took the truck to the local shop yesterday just to confirm what was leaking. it is my evap core and compressor. the thing is, we couldn't tell what exactly was leaking on the compressor bc the detection was picking up the leak near the o rings and some switch? what switch was he talkin about? tia

Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 PM
ciws14
Default Special Tool?

I thought I saw it mentioned about a special tool to pull the fitting apart that connect the coil and accumulator???

Old 06-24-2010, 02:07 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by truegent81
how do you remove the lines that are on top of the compressor? i heard there are some o rings under there that may be leaking and i wanna replace those.

do yall think theres a good chance its just the o rings leaking? i really couldn't tell how else the compressor would be leaking. i took the truck to the local shop yesterday just to confirm what was leaking. it is my evap core and compressor. the thing is, we couldn't tell what exactly was leaking on the compressor bc the detection was picking up the leak near the o rings and some switch? what switch was he talkin about? tia
Mine were leaking years ago. Take the bolt off and replace them. Get them from your dealer. I think they were only like $10.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:56 PM
ciws14
Default No air blowing from vents

I've completed the change-out of the heater core and A/C evaporator. I do not have any air coming from my vents. It goes straight to the de-frost when I put it to vent. It will go to the floor, but not the vents. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

check the vacuum lines, and also under the hood.

If it will switch from defrost, to floor, something is happening.......

Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 PM
jgcox6
Rookie

Originally Posted by davmelrach
Ok here is how to replace your a/c evaporator and/or heater core.

1) Disconnect battery cable
2) Remove first screw on door sill both sides ( these are the pieces that hold your carpet down)
3) Remove kick panels and panel under steering wheel.
4) Remove two nuts holding up steering wheel.
5) Remove five screws where dash meets the windsheild.
6) Remove 2 bolts on the left and right side of the dash up against the side of truck (under kick panels)
7)Dashboard can now be pulled free toward seat.
8)On passenger side of dash tie rope or wire to flange where bolt went into side of truck and lift dash up
to expose fan box. Secure rope to handle on side of A-post
9) Remove vaccuum lines and unclip electrical connections. (Hint: temperature control cable has to be
removed with pliers by pulling straight up, removing the entire clip.)
10) Now the secret: there are two screws holding the box to the firewall on the inside (one has ground
wire attached.) The other is in the upper right hand corner facing up.
11)There are four nuts holding it from the engine side of the firewall (one nut is accessed by removing the
electircal panel on passenger side.) Remove all four nuts.
12)Remove heater hoses by removing clamps. Mine were stuck so I just cut the hoses and got new ones.
13)Release A/C freon from LP side with gages and disconnect A/C lines from firewall exit. ( This
requires a simple 5 dollar tool that disconnects fueland A/C connections.
14) The heater box will now come free!
15) There are several screws holding heater box together. It will come apart in two halves. Go ahead
and replace your heater core because you dont want to do this again in a month!
16) You may want to replace your accumulator as well (its fairly cheap)
17) Reassemble /reinstall box. Draw vaccuum on A/C system for 30 mins. recharge with 134a.

YOUR DONE AND YOU SAVED HUNDREDS!

There is one thing that I would like to pass on concerning the heater box...please make sure that blend doors line up in the box...and test the "hot/cold door while the box is out to make sure it is in the proper position. I didn't and now I have to take it all apart AGAIN!!!! GRRRRR!!!

Quick Reply: a/c evaporator replacement