2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painted my calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Bigschwerm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Painted my calipers

they look good man[sm=icon_rock.gif]....man all the good ideas i get off here looks like im gonna have to paint my drums and calipers now also....

Old 08-05-2007, 11:48 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Not to get to off topic but since everyone is talking about paint. My bed has a spray in bed liner in it. It has faded alot so it's kind of gray. I was wondering what everyones suggestions were for painting it black again. I have started using duplicolor gloss black and it look really nice but it dosen't seem like it will hold up very well. Any suggestions?

Old 08-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Line-X or Rhino, and see what they might suggest.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Lee Wallace

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I have high temp flat black that is going on the drums.
Always a good choice!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: atcsat6
I'm thinking of doing drums and calipers either black or aluminum, haven't decided yet - anybody getgood results from high-temp paint? Brands?
[/quote]
My son just did his calipers on his Nissan about 2 months ago. He used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel Ceramic 500 degree Dyno Heat Tested Semi-Gloss Black DE1635. They look great and are holding up well, so far.
WC

Old 08-14-2007, 02:40 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

I did that on my stang and just used the high heat engine paint. Never thought of doing it on the truck might have to think about that

Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
salmonman1

silver looks good, I was also thinking of doing mine, how long did it take you.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:33 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i ordered my control arm bushings from energysuspensionparts.com yesterday i am told they are the best how do u like em silver? i went with red also i ofcourse have a red truck and my theme on aftermarket stuff is red to match . hows the ride and steering i was told it will stiffen a lil...like u said it stiffened some but for better or is it annoying? just wondering how was changing them out ...a bear or what should i expcet?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I like the feel of them. The ride is definetly firmer, but I like how it feels. Feels like a truck ought to in my opinion. It is not a jarring firmness or anything, just feels like the slop is gone and stuff is tight.

My swap was an absolute bear, but I also went with longer control arms (due to my lift), so that really contributed to the difficulty. Just swapping the bushings shouldn't be too bad. The main issues you could have are:
-cam bolt being seized in the hole. Mine didn't have this problem, but it is common, escpecially if you live in a wet/humid/salty/rust prone climate. I think dealerships are the only one who sell them, so might be worth picking up a set in advance in case you need them (like if you have to cut yours out or they get damaged). Then you could always return them if you no longer need them.
-If your doing both the upper and lower arms, the passenger side upper arm is serious pain. The bolt for the frame side connection of that upper arm is only accessible through the frame. That's not a big deal by itself, but the problem is getting a wrench to it since the exhaust runs right in front of that hole. Very little room to work.
-Scribe the cam so that when you reinstall everything, your alignment will be fairly close (see pic below). Still will want to get it aligned, but at least it will be close.
-Keep the new poly bushings greased or they will make noise (squeeking).

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/471F7B78D15949CE81E91A63275E4915.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Back on the topic of this thread (since it has been brought back to the top), I put the finishing touch on my painted calipers. Silver colored "Mopar" lettering.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/FD910D293C01420DBCE07F484609FAF7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/1EF349F6F20746A5AC91AE8A75BB0AA1.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Painted my calipers